What are the equations for equilibrium in a pulley system?

In summary: N + T1 sin41+T1 cos41+0 = 0In summary, the problem involves a picture so i posted it so it can be seen and easier or you guys to help me. The problem involves finding the angles values in degrees for the weight hanging down and the angles value for the weigth hanging down.
anglum
The problem involves a picture so i posted it so it can be seen and easier or you guys to help me

i know that the total sum of the tensions in this need to equal 37.4N + 61.4N

but i get confused when angles get brought into play

link to problem

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/anglum/help.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Examine the first "knot". What must be true about the forces acting on that knot? Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal components separately.

i am so lost on this problem... would the forces actin on the first knot need to equal 37.4N?

Since the system is in equilibrium, the total force must be zero.

ok so if the total force on the first knot is 0 then i can assume that

37.4N + T1+T2 = 0??

i also need to find the other angles value in degrees as a part 4 of the question

anglum said:
ok so if the total force on the first knot is 0 then i can assume that

37.4N + T1+T2 = 0??
No, since forces are vectors and must be added as vectors. As I said earlier: Consider vertical and horizontal components separately.

i am totally lost right now... i don't see y the forces of t1 t2 and the weight don't equal to zero

the vertical componentei s37.4 and the horizontal is t2 ?

anglum said:
i am totally lost right now... i don't see y the forces of t1 t2 and the weight don't equal to zero
The vectors add to zero, but not just the numbers.

For each of those three forces list the following:
(1) x-component
(2) y-component

Some of the components will be zero.

ok for the wegith hangin down the x component is 0 and the y component is 37.4N

for T2 the horizontal is WHAT while the vertical is 0

and for T1 the vertical is sin41 = T1/X

and for T1 the horizontal is cos 41 = T1/X

ahhhh i figured out the first 3 parts

im stuck on the angle

anglum said:
ok for the wegith hangin down the x component is 0 and the y component is 37.4N
Since it's downward, call it -37.4 N.

for T2 the horizontal is WHAT while the vertical is 0
Call the horizontal component T2.

and for T1 the vertical is sin41 = T1/X

and for T1 the horizontal is cos 41 = T1/X
The vertical component is T1 sin41.
The horizontal component is -T1 cos41.

Now add up the vertical components and set to zero. Do the same for the horizontal components.

What is a pulley system in equilibrium?

A pulley system in equilibrium is a system of pulleys that are arranged in a way that allows for the load or weight to be evenly distributed among the pulleys, resulting in a balanced and stable system. This means that the force required to lift or move the load is reduced, making it easier to perform work.

How does a pulley system achieve equilibrium?

A pulley system achieves equilibrium by using the principles of mechanical advantage and balanced forces. The mechanical advantage refers to the reduction of effort needed to lift a load, while balanced forces refer to the equal and opposite forces acting on the pulleys and load, resulting in a stable system.

What are the different types of pulley systems in equilibrium?

There are three types of pulley systems in equilibrium: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulley systems have a fixed axle and do not change the direction of the force. Movable pulley systems have a movable axle and change the direction of the force. Compound pulley systems combine both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a pulley system?

The equilibrium of a pulley system is affected by the number and arrangement of pulleys, the weight of the load, and the angle of the ropes or cables attached to the pulleys. The greater the number of pulleys and the smaller the angle, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift the load.

What are some real-life applications of pulley systems in equilibrium?

Pulley systems in equilibrium are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy loads with minimal effort. They are also used in simple machines like flagpoles and sailboats to hoist and adjust sails. In addition, pulley systems in equilibrium are used in physical therapy to help patients improve their strength and mobility.