Is the Democratic Party Becoming Just Like the Republicans?

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the problem with the Republican politicians is that they do little (and screw up that which they do) and cost taxpayers a lot of money. The problem with the Democratic politicians is that they want to be like the Republican politicians. Democrats appear ready to extend wiretap powers. Such alternatives already exist, along with people who vote for them. How about a viable third party?
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
The problem with the Republican politicians is that they do little (and screw up that which they do) and cost taxpayers a lot of money.

The probem with the Democratic politicians is that they want to be like the Republican politicians.

:yuck:

Democrats Seem Ready to Extend Wiretap Powers
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/washington/09nsa.html
WASHINGTON, Oct. 8 — Two months after insisting that they would roll back broad eavesdropping powers won by the Bush administration, Democrats in Congress appear ready to make concessions that could extend some crucial powers given to the National Security Agency.

. . . . .

Democrats remain nervous that they will be called soft on terrorism if they insist on strict curbs on gathering intelligence.
Well, maybe not soft - just spineless.

We need a third alternative to R & D.

Physics news on Phys.org
my god.. impeachment should belong to the people to be used against any member of the government that so egregiously strays from what they are being elected to do.:mad:

In the end both parties are very flawed, so the tiring, disappointing "politics" will continue no matter who gets elected, because there is no "super" candidate.

Astronuc said:
We need a third alternative to R & D.
Such alternatives already exist, along with people who vote for them.

Well, we do have some independents.

How about a viable third party? One that can win a national election or even a state election.

Astronuc said:
How about a viable third party?
So what should we do? Declare some unpopular party the winner? If you want a party to be viable, you have to vote for it, there is no other way.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In the end both parties are very flawed, so the tiring, disappointing "politics" will continue no matter who gets elected, because there is no "super" candidate.
Soooo! When are you going to through your hat into the ring? :biggrin:

How about a PF party/candidate?

I want to start a barefoot party. :cool:

Astronuc said:
Well, we do have some independents.

How about a viable third party? One that can win a national election or even a state election.

hah. yeah, jimmy has a good point here. parties that are within reach of a national election don't just pop up out of nowhere, they need people to vote for them. you can't say "i would so vote for the green party just to teach those other guys a lesson... but green doesn't have much support so I am not going to voting for them"

i've heard this all the time too. it sounds like voters in the USA are somehow demoralized about voting to the point where they don't want to protest inadequate government by voting for someone else

devil-fire said:
it sounds like voters in the USA are somehow demoralized about voting to the point where they don't want to protest inadequate government by voting for someone else
No, we do vote for someone else. The libertarian party is the largest of the so-called third-parties. They always get exactly the same number of votes as there are people willing to vote for them, no more, no less. Ron Paul ran for President as the Libertarian candidate and is running as a Republican now. But you get the same man if you vote for him now. I hesitate to post his web site, but I am looking at it now. You have to be an aggressive surfer if you want to know his party affiliation. Here is what it says on the main page:

You must be registered with the correct party to vote for Ron Paul in closed primaries

No mention of which party is correct. Just how much of a Republican do you get when you vote for this guy anyway huh? Maybe that will be his campaign slogan "Vote for me, I'm not really a Republican"

What is "The Other Same Old Party"?

"The Other Same Old Party" is a political party that has been gaining attention recently. It is known for its strong emphasis on environmental and social justice issues.

When was "The Other Same Old Party" founded?

The party was founded in 2010 by a group of scientists, activists, and community leaders who were dissatisfied with the current political system and wanted to create a new party that focused on pressing issues facing our society.

What are the main beliefs of "The Other Same Old Party"?

The party's main beliefs include addressing climate change, promoting social and economic equality, and prioritizing the well-being of all individuals and communities. They also value transparency, accountability, and evidence-based policies.

How does "The Other Same Old Party" differ from other political parties?

"The Other Same Old Party" differs from other political parties in its strong focus on environmental and social justice issues. They also prioritize grassroots organizing and community involvement in decision-making processes.

What is the party's stance on education and science?

The party strongly supports investment in education and research, particularly in the fields of science and technology. They believe that a well-educated and scientifically literate population is crucial for addressing complex issues and creating a sustainable future.