Rotating Disk Homework: Calculating Angular Acceleration and Time

In summary: The correct answer is 0.667 rev/s^2. As for part (d), you need to use the formula for angular velocity, not acceleration. The correct answer is 0.583 rev.In summary, the problem involves a disk rotating with constant angular acceleration. The goal is to calculate the angular acceleration, time required to complete a certain number of revolutions, time required to reach a specific angular speed, and number of revolutions from rest until the disk reaches the given angular speed. The solution involves converting units and using the formula for angular velocity rather than acceleration. The correct answers are 0.667 rev/s^2 for (a), 12.45 seconds for (b), 1.29 seconds for (c),
shell4987

Homework Statement

A disk rotates about its central axis starting from rest and accelerates with constant angular acceleration. At one time it is rotating at 7.0 rev/s; 83 revolutions later, its angular speed is 18 rev/s. Calculate (a) the angular acceleration (rev/s^2), (b) the time required to complete the 83 revolutions, (c) the time required to reach the 7.0 rev/s angular speed, and (d) the number of revolutions from rest until the time the disk reaches the 7.0 rev/s angular speed.

Homework Equations

(a) ang accl=(W2^2-W1^2)/2(change in theta)
(d) change in theta= W0t + 1/2 ang accl t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answers to both (b) and (c) but my (a) was not correct and it's weird because I used my answer from (a) to do both (b) and (c), my answer to (a) was 10.408 rad/s^2 and calculated by plugging in 36pi as W2, 14pi for W1 and change in theta as 166pi... What am I doing wrong here??

Also, for part (d) I was told to use to the time I received from part (c) to find the change in theta and I got 150 rev, and that's obviously wrong... what am I doing wrong with this one as well??

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks for the angular acceleration in rev/s^2, you found the angular acceleration in radians/s^2, just convert the units.

It appears that you are using the correct equations for calculating angular acceleration and time in this scenario. However, it is possible that there may be a mistake in your calculations or in the values you are using. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units for each variable.

For part (a), the correct answer should be 0.011 rad/s^2. This can be calculated by using the equation ang accl=(W2-W1)/t and plugging in the values for W2=18 rev/s, W1=7 rev/s, and t=83 revolutions/(18 rev/s - 7 rev/s). Make sure you are using consistent units for time, in this case revolutions per second.

For part (d), the correct number of revolutions from rest until the time the disk reaches the 7.0 rev/s angular speed is 14 revolutions. This can be calculated by using the equation change in theta= W0t + 1/2 ang accl t^2 and plugging in the values for W0=0 rev/s, t=1.857 s (from part (c)), and ang accl=0.011 rad/s^2. Again, make sure you are using consistent units for time.

It is also helpful to label your variables and units clearly in your calculations to avoid confusion and mistakes. Keep practicing and double checking your work, and you will improve in solving these types of problems. Good luck!

What is the Rotating Disk Question?

The Rotating Disk Question is a thought experiment that explores the concept of relativity and time dilation. It involves a hypothetical scenario where two observers, one on a rotating disk and one outside of the disk, experience time differently.

What is the significance of the Rotating Disk Question?

The Rotating Disk Question helps to illustrate the principles of relativity and time dilation, which are important concepts in physics. It also challenges our understanding of time and how it can be affected by different factors.

How does the Rotating Disk Question work?

In the Rotating Disk Question, a person on the rotating disk would experience time moving slower due to their circular motion, while a person outside of the disk would experience time passing at a normal rate. This is because the person on the disk is undergoing acceleration, which causes time dilation according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

What are the real-life applications of the Rotating Disk Question?

The concept of time dilation, as demonstrated in the Rotating Disk Question, has real-life applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and aviation. It also plays a role in the functioning of GPS systems, as the satellites in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speeds.

What are some common misconceptions about the Rotating Disk Question?

One common misconception about the Rotating Disk Question is that it proves that time can actually slow down or speed up. In reality, time is a constant and it is our perception of time that can be affected by different factors, such as motion and gravity.