How Do You Calculate Velocity After an Angular Elastic Collision?

In summary, two identical pucks, one with an initial velocity of 2.6 m/s in the positive x-direction and the other at rest, collide elastically. After the collision, the first puck moves off at 2.50 m/s at an angle of +16.3° above the x-axis. The speed and direction of the second puck after the collision is ____ m/s at -73.7 °. The solution involves the conservation of momentum and writing equations for the horizontal and vertical components of momentum before and after the collision.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

Two identical pucks are on an air table. Puck A has an initial velocity of 2.6 m/s in the positive x-direction. Puck B is at rest. Puck A collides elastically with puck B and A moves off at 2.50 m/s at an angle of +16.3° above the x-axis. What is the speed and direction of puck B after the collision? (Take angles above the x-axis to be positive and below to be negative.)
____ m/s at -73.7 °

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

i know this is an elastic collision but i do not know how to solve it for a collision that is at an angle. I got the -73.7 because i know that if anythign is hit at an angle...the total angle of the 2 objects should add to 90 degrees. but how do i solve for the final velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is conserved! Write equations for conservation of momentum for horizontal and vertical components.

how do you do it for the initial and final? i don't understand this one

1. What is an angular elastic collision?

An angular elastic collision is a type of collision that occurs between two objects, where both objects are rotating at different speeds and directions, resulting in a change in their velocities and directions after the collision.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an angular elastic collision?

In an angular elastic collision, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, meaning the sum of the angular momenta of the two objects before and after the collision is equal. This is due to the conservation of momentum principle, where the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the difference between an angular elastic collision and a linear elastic collision?

The main difference between these two types of collisions is the type of motion involved. In a linear elastic collision, the objects involved are moving in a straight line, while in an angular elastic collision, the objects are rotating.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities in an angular elastic collision?

The final velocities in an angular elastic collision can be calculated using the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum. These equations take into account the mass, initial velocities, and moment of inertia of the objects involved in the collision.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular elastic collisions?

Some common examples of angular elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a spinning top hitting another object, or a satellite colliding with debris in space. These collisions can also occur in sports such as ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics.