Analyzing an Elastic Collision in 2D: Solving for Speed and Angle

In summary, the problem involves a collision between two masses, one with 5 times the mass of the other. The smaller mass is initially stationary and the larger mass is moving at a speed of 12 m/s. After the collision, the smaller mass rebounds at an 80 degree angle from the original direction of the larger mass. The collision is elastic and the goal is to find the speed and angle of the larger mass after the collision. Using the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the problem can be solved by finding V2 in terms of V1 and plugging it into the KE equation. Eliminating theta using a trig identity is helpful in solving for V1 and V2.
fliinghier

Homework Statement

there are two masses, the smaller sitting still, and the larger with 5 times the mass of the smaller hits it going 12 m/s. the smaller rebounds at an 80 degree angle from the direction of the original mass. the collision is elastic. find the speed of both objects and the angle of the larger one after the collision.

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 (KE, which is conserved)
mv (momentum, which is conserved)

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have tried using sin and cos of theta and 80 degrees to find equivalent equations using momentum(5V2sin(theta)=V1sin(80) and 60=5V2cos(theta)+V1cos(80)) and then i tried to plug variables into the KE equation or solve the equations simultaneously.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Try this: Use the momentum equations to find V2 in terms of V1. Then plug that into the KE equation. (Hint: Take advantage of the trig identity [itex]\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1[/itex].)

after trying this way again i got stuck (again) when i reached the following:

720=(V1^2)(1+(.970/(sin(theta))^2))

Use the hint I gave to eliminate theta before plugging into the KE equation.

thanks i think i got it now.

1. What is an elastic collision in 2d?

An elastic collision in 2d is a type of collision where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is an elastic collision in 2d different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and is converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, however, kinetic energy is conserved and there is no loss of energy.

3. What are the equations used to calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision in 2d?

The equations used to calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision in 2d are known as the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. How does the direction of motion affect an elastic collision in 2d?

The direction of motion does not affect the outcome of an elastic collision in 2d as long as both objects involved are moving in the same plane. This is because the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations hold true regardless of the direction of motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions in 2d?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions in 2d include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two bumper cars colliding at an amusement park, and a tennis ball bouncing off a wall. In each of these situations, the total energy and momentum of the system remains the same before and after the collision.