Calculating Wave Speed in a String: Formula and Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the formula for calculating wave speed in a string is v = √(T/μ), where v represents the wave speed, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear density of the string. Tension can be measured by using a spring scale or a tension meter, and linear density is determined by dividing the total mass of the string by its length. This formula is specific for waves in a string and different types of waves have their own formulas. The material and thickness of the string can also affect the wave speed, with thinner and more elastic strings having a higher wave speed.
Joza
I am trying to find the speed of propagation of a transverse wave in a string.

Speed = wavelength times frequency.

I have the period, .075s, so 1 over T is the frequency.
I have the distance between 2 ADJACENT antinodes, which is .15m (Is this the wavelength?)

Could someone work out the speed so I can double check?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two adjacent antinodes are half a wavelength apart.

I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to calculate the wave speed in a string. It is important to understand the properties and behavior of waves in various mediums.

To answer your question, yes, the distance between two adjacent antinodes is indeed the wavelength. In order to calculate the wave speed, we can use the formula v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

In your case, the frequency can be calculated as 1/T, where T is the period. Substituting the values, we get v = 0.15m * (1/0.075s) = 2m/s.

I hope this helps you in double checking your calculations. Keep up the good work in exploring the world of science and understanding the fundamental principles behind natural phenomena. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is the formula for calculating wave speed in a string?

The formula for calculating wave speed in a string is v = √(T/μ), where v represents the wave speed, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear density of the string.

2. How do I measure the tension in a string?

Tension can be measured by using a spring scale or a tension meter. Simply attach the scale or meter to the string and pull until it reaches its maximum tension. The reading on the scale or meter will be the tension in the string.

3. What is linear density and how is it determined for a string?

Linear density is the mass per unit length of a string. It can be determined by dividing the total mass of the string by its length.

4. Can this formula be used for all types of waves?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the speed of waves in a string. Different types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves, have their own formulas for calculating speed.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the wave speed in a string?

Yes, the material and thickness of the string can also affect the wave speed. Generally, thinner and more elastic strings will have a higher wave speed.