Solving 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem

In summary, the task given was to exhibit three nonisomorphic, connected graphs with five vertices and four edges. The graphs were successfully drawn and the question of how to argue that every connected graph with these characteristics is isomorphic to one of the three given was raised. After considering the combinations of degrees for the five vertices, it was determined that there are only three possible combinations and each one corresponds to one of the three graphs provided. Therefore, it can be concluded that all connected graphs with five vertices and four edges are isomorphic to one of the three graphs shown.
dobry_den
Hi! I was given the following task:

(a) Exhibit three nonisomorphic, connected graphs with five vertices and four edges.
(b) Argue that every connected graph with five vertices and four edges is isomomorphic to one of the three in part (a).

It's not very difficult to draw the graphs:
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/dobry_den/graphs.jpg

but i can't think of how i would argue... Do you have any idea? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I've come up with something.. The sum of deg(v) has to be 8 (I have 4 edges, each is shared by two vertices). Moreover, there are 5 vertices, so the only combinations of degrees are: (1,1,1,1,4), (1,1,2,2,2) and (1,1,1,2,3).

(i) There's no other way how to connect (1,1,1,1,4) vertices to yield a nonisomorphic graph with the (1,1,1,1,4) graph from point (a). This is quite clear.

(ii) The same for a (1,1,2,2,2) graph.. This is a path and there's no other nonisomorphic connected graph that could be constructed from these vertices (eg. a graph consisting of a triangle and a path of length 1 has also vertices of degrees (1,1,2,2,2)..but it isn't connected).

(iii) To ensure that a (1,1,1,2,3) graph is connected, the vertices with degrees 3 and 2 must share an edge (otherwise, there would be no path from the former to the latter.. since the rest of the vertices are of deg=1.. and that would yield a graph that's not connected).. thus all graphs with the degree set (1,1,1,2,3) are isomorphic with the one on the picture.

Do you think this is sufficient?

Hi there! I can definitely help you with this problem. Graph theory can be a bit challenging, but once you understand the basics, it becomes much easier to solve problems like this one.

First, let's define what isomorphic means in terms of graphs. Two graphs are isomorphic if they have the same number of vertices and edges, and their structure is the same, meaning that the vertices are connected in the same way.

Now, for part (a), you have already successfully drawn three nonisomorphic, connected graphs with five vertices and four edges. This means that each graph has a unique structure, and you cannot rearrange the vertices or edges to make them look the same. This satisfies the first part of the task.

For part (b), we need to prove that every connected graph with five vertices and four edges is isomorphic to one of the three graphs you drew in part (a). To do this, we can use a technique called graph labeling. Essentially, we assign labels to the vertices and edges of a graph in a specific way, and if two graphs have the same labeling, then they are isomorphic.

In this case, we can label the vertices of each graph as A, B, C, D, and E. Then, for each graph, we can label the edges as follows:
- Graph 1: AB, AC, AD, BC
- Graph 2: AB, AC, AD, BD
- Graph 3: AB, AC, BC, CD

As you can see, each graph has a unique combination of edges, but they all have four edges and five vertices. This means that every connected graph with five vertices and four edges can be labeled in one of these three ways. Therefore, every connected graph with five vertices and four edges is isomorphic to one of the three graphs in part (a).

I hope this helps you understand how to approach and solve graph theory problems like this one. Keep practicing and you'll become a pro in no time!

What is 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem?

The 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution for a graph with 5 vertices (V) and 4 edges (E). It is a common problem in graph theory, a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs and their properties.

What are the steps for solving a 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem?

The first step is to draw the graph with 5 vertices and 4 edges. Then, you need to label the vertices and edges. Next, you should identify any special properties of the graph, such as symmetry or connectivity. After that, you can use graph theory algorithms or techniques, such as the Eulerian path or Hamiltonian cycle, to solve the problem and find a solution.

What are some real-world applications of solving 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem?

Graph theory has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, transportation networks, social networks, and biology. In the case of 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem, it can be applied to tasks such as route optimization, scheduling, and data representation.

What are some common challenges when solving 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem?

Some common challenges when solving 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem include identifying the correct graph theory algorithm or technique to use, dealing with complex or large graphs, and ensuring accuracy in the solution. It is also important to properly label the vertices and edges and to consider any special properties of the graph.

Are there any techniques for verifying the solution of a 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem?

Yes, there are techniques for verifying the solution of a 5V 4E Graph Theory Problem. One way is to retrace the steps used to find the solution and make sure they are correct. Another way is to use mathematical proofs, such as the inductive or deductive method, to verify the solution. Additionally, computer simulations or programs can be used to check the solution for accuracy.