Doppler Effect (moving source, moving listener)

In summary, the bicycle rider hears a frequency of 811 Hz, which is lower than the frequency emitted by the train, which is 840 Hz. The train is traveling away from the bicycle, and the speed of sound is 340 m/s.
GoldShadow

Homework Statement

A man is traveling on a bicycle at 14 m/s along a straight road that runs parallel to some railroad tracks. He hears the whistle of a train that is behind him. The frequency emitted by the train is 840 Hz, but the frequency the man hears is 778 Hz. Take the velocity of sound to be 340 m/s.

a) What frequency is heard by a stationary observer located between the train and the bicycle?
b) What is the speed of the train, and is the train traveling away from or toward the bicycle?

velocity of man=14 m/s, frequency heard by man=778 Hz, velocity of train=unknown, frequency emitted by train=840 Hz, speed of sound=340 m/s

Homework Equations

[tex]f_{L}=\frac{v+v_{L}}{v+v_{S}}f_{S}[/tex]

[tex]f_{L}[/tex]=frequency heard by listener (man), [tex]f_{S}[/tex]=frequency emitted by source (train), [tex]v_{L}[/tex]=velocity of listener (man), [tex]v_{S}[/tex]=velocity of source (train), v=velocity of sound

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part b first. Using the equation, and using direction of listener toward source as positive, I solved for velocity of the source (train) like so:
[tex]778=\frac{340-14}{340+v_{S}}840[/tex]
Since the man hears the train behind him, it means he must be traveling away from the train. For velocity of the train, I got 12.0 m/s away from the man on the bicycle (since the velocity is positive).Then, for part a, I used the same equation; velocity of listener I set to 0 m/s, and velocity of train (source) as 12 m/s, which I got from the previous part.
[tex]f_{L}=\frac{340+0}{340+12}840[/tex]

I got 811 Hz as the frequency heard by a listener between the train and the bike (since the listener would be stationary, but the train would be moving away at 12 m/s).

I'd appreciate it if somebody would let me know if I did this correctly or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

One more bump

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source. This effect can be observed with any type of wave, including sound, light, and water waves.

How does the Doppler Effect work with a moving source?

When a source of a wave, such as a moving object, is moving towards an observer, the observer will perceive a higher frequency of the wave. This is because the distance between the source and the observer is decreasing, causing the waves to be compressed and have a shorter wavelength. As a result, the frequency increases. Conversely, if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency decreases.

How does the Doppler Effect work with a moving listener?

When the observer is moving towards or away from the source of a wave, the frequency and wavelength of the wave remain constant. However, the observer's relative motion affects the speed at which the waves reach them. If the observer is moving towards the source, the waves will reach them faster and they will perceive a higher frequency. If the observer is moving away from the source, the waves will reach them slower and they will perceive a lower frequency.

What are some real-life examples of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by is due to the Doppler Effect. Similarly, the change in pitch of a train horn as it approaches and then passes by is also a result of the Doppler Effect. Astronomers also use the Doppler Effect to measure the speed and direction of stars and galaxies.

How is the Doppler Effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications in various fields of science and technology. In medicine, it is used in ultrasound to measure blood flow and diagnose heart conditions. In weather forecasting, it is used to track the movement and intensity of storms. In astronomy, it is used to study the movement and composition of celestial objects. The Doppler Effect is also used in radar technology and to calibrate musical instruments.