Thanks Astronuc - Received Your PM - Full Box Trick!

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the recipient receiving a PM but being unable to respond due to their inbox being full. They tried deleting some messages but the system still won't let them reply. They plan to use an old computer to clear things up and the sender mentions a possible solution of closing the browser. The recipient is unable to send a PM even after deleting messages and plans to fix the issue at home.
Danger
Gold Member
I received your PM, even thought the box is full (nice Mentor trick), but can't respond. I tried deleting some of the PM's that I was keeping but don't need, but the system still won't let me reply. I think that I'm going to have to bring one of the desk-top or tower Mac's out of retirement in order to clear things up. Anyhow, I just want you to know that I received and much appreciated your PM.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger, you're welcome.

My PM cache is not full. In your case, after you delete some, you might have to close your browser, although I can't imagine why that would be necessary.

If you can't reply, can you click on my name and send me a PM?

Appently not. The system doesn't recognize that I've deleted some messages, and shows me at 101 out of 100 available.
I'll try fixing it at home in the next couple of days.

1. What is the "Full Box Trick" mentioned in the message?

The "Full Box Trick" is a technique used in particle physics experiments to increase the efficiency of data collection. It involves filling a detector with a dense material to increase the chances of detecting particles.

2. How does the "Full Box Trick" work?

The "Full Box Trick" works by increasing the amount of material that particles must pass through before being detected. This increases the probability of interactions between particles and the detector, leading to a higher detection efficiency.

3. What is the purpose of using the "Full Box Trick"?

The purpose of using the "Full Box Trick" is to improve the sensitivity and accuracy of particle physics experiments. By increasing the detection efficiency, scientists can collect more data and make more precise measurements of particle properties.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the "Full Box Trick"?

One potential drawback of using the "Full Box Trick" is that it can increase the complexity and cost of a particle physics experiment. Additionally, if not carefully designed and implemented, it can also introduce background noise into the data.

5. Is the "Full Box Trick" used in all particle physics experiments?

No, the "Full Box Trick" is not used in all particle physics experiments. It is most commonly used in experiments involving high-energy particles, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider. Other experiments may use different techniques to increase detection efficiency.