Problem, Where did I go wrong?

• Thread starter physics4u
  • Start date
In summary, in a portable oxygen system, the oxygen is stored in a cylinder with a volume of 0.00260 m3 and an absolute pressure of 1.00e7 Pa at 299 K. Using the ideal gas law, the number of moles of oxygen was calculated to be 935499.4. Multiplying this by Avogadro's number and the atomic mass of oxygen (32), the mass of oxygen in the cylinder was found to be incorrect.
physics4u

Homework Statement

In a portable oxygen system, the oxygen (O2) is contained in a cylinder whose volume is 0.00260 m3. A full cylinder has an absolute pressure of 1.00e7 Pa when the temperature is 299 K. Find the mass of oxygen in the cylinder.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I solved for n in the PV=nRT eqn, (1.00e7)(.00260)/(8.31)(299K)= 935499.4 moles. After I obtained the Moles I multiplied by avadro's number (6.022e23) to get molecules, and than I multiplied by 1.6605e-27kg/atomic units to get mass. Aparently my answer is incorrect, where did I go wrong for solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you multiply by 1.6605e-27kg/atomic units to get mass? Also remember the molecular weight of O2 is 32.

It seems like you have correctly used the ideal gas law to solve for the number of moles of oxygen in the cylinder. However, the issue may be with your conversion from moles to mass. In your calculation, you multiplied by Avogadro's number and then by the conversion factor from atomic units to kilograms. This would give you the mass of the entire cylinder, not just the oxygen. To find the mass of oxygen, you need to multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of oxygen (32 g/mol). This will give you the mass of oxygen in grams. You can then convert to kilograms if needed. I hope this helps!

1. What is a "problem" in the context of scientific research?

A problem in scientific research is an issue or challenge that needs to be investigated or solved through a systematic and evidence-based approach. It can be a gap in knowledge, a contradiction in existing theories, or a practical concern that requires a scientific solution.

2. How do I identify where I went wrong in a scientific experiment?

To identify where you went wrong in a scientific experiment, you should carefully review your research design, methodology, and data analysis procedures. Look for potential sources of error, inconsistencies, or unexpected results that may have influenced your findings. You can also consult with colleagues or seek guidance from experts in your field.

3. What are some common mistakes that can lead to problems in scientific research?

Some common mistakes that can lead to problems in scientific research include faulty experimental design, biased data collection or analysis, inadequate sample size, lack of control groups, and misleading interpretation of results. It is important to follow rigorous research protocols and adhere to ethical standards to minimize the risk of errors.

4. How can I prevent problems from arising in my scientific research?

To prevent problems from arising in your scientific research, it is crucial to plan and conduct your study carefully and systematically. This includes clearly defining your research question, choosing appropriate methods and controls, minimizing bias, and ensuring the validity and reliability of your data. It is also important to review and revise your research plan regularly to address any potential issues that may arise.

5. What should I do if I encounter a problem in my scientific research?

If you encounter a problem in your scientific research, the first step is to thoroughly analyze the situation and try to identify the root cause. Then, you can seek advice and assistance from colleagues, mentors, or experts in your field. It may also be necessary to modify your research plan or repeat certain experiments to address the problem. Transparency and honesty are key in addressing and resolving problems in scientific research.