Why are some logical statements not immediately obvious in proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding certain concepts while learning how to write proofs. The example of \forall_i ~ p_i \vee q_i \Leftrightarrow (\forall_i p_i ) \vee (\forall_i q_i) not being a tautology is mentioned, as well as the confusion between \forall_i ~ x \in A \vee B_i and x \in A \vee \forall_i ~ x \in B_i. A book recommendation, "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J Velleman, is suggested as a helpful resource. The concept of logical statements is also discussed, with an example of \forall i p_i v \
ice109
im just starting to write proofs and it's going well but some things aren't immediately obvious to me.

for example it is not immediately obvious to me why

[tex]\forall_i ~ p_i \vee q_i \Leftrightarrow (\forall_i p_i ) \vee (\forall_i q_i)[/tex] isn't a tautology

and it wasn't immediately obvious to me why a statement like this

[tex]\forall_i ~ x \in A \vee B_i [/tex]

isn't equivalent to

[tex]x \in A \vee \forall_i ~ x \in B_i [/tex]

although i do understand now. can someone suggest a book or an internet resource that would help me with this? i picked up an introduction to math logic book but there's so much other stuff in there and obviously with more practice i'll get the hang of it but still some ideas on how to either get it quicker or as mentioned some resources. maybe prove a bunch of these set theorems lots of different ways.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The book "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J Velleman was useful to me. The first two chapters are an easy to understand discussion of logic as it pertains to proofs.

anyone else?

Consider the statements pi= "i is an odd number" and qi= "i+ 1 is an odd number". Then for all i, pi v qi= "either i is an odd number or i+ 1 is an odd number" is true.

[itex]\forall i p_i[/itex], however, is the statement "for all i, i is an odd number" which is false. [itex]\forall i q_i[/itex] is the statement "for all i, i+ 1 is an odd number" which is also false. "false" v "false"= "false".

yea i figured that one out

1. What is logic in proofs?

Logic in proofs is a systematic way of reasoning and using evidence to support a claim or argument. It involves applying the rules of logic, such as deductive reasoning and mathematical principles, to validate the truth of a statement or proposition.

2. Why is logic important in proofs?

Logic is important in proofs because it provides a rigorous and structured approach to evaluating the validity of an argument or statement. It allows us to identify and avoid fallacies and ensure that our conclusions are based on sound reasoning and evidence.

3. What are the types of logic used in proofs?

The two main types of logic used in proofs are deductive logic and inductive logic. Deductive logic involves using general principles or rules to arrive at specific conclusions, while inductive logic involves using specific observations or evidence to make generalizations or predictions.

4. How do you construct a logical proof?

To construct a logical proof, you need to start with a clear and precise statement of the problem or proposition. Then, you need to identify the relevant information or evidence and apply the appropriate rules of logic to arrive at a logical conclusion. It is also important to clearly explain each step of the proof and justify any assumptions or logical leaps.

5. What are common mistakes to avoid in logical proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in logical proofs include using invalid or unsound arguments, making unjustified assumptions, and confusing correlation with causation. It is also important to be careful with language and avoid making ambiguous or vague statements that may weaken the logical validity of the proof.