Help with electric field acceleration problem.

In summary, the problem involves an electron being accelerated by a constant electric field of 300 nC. The solution involves using the equations of motion with constant acceleration to find the electron's speed after 1.00x10^-8 seconds. To find the acceleration, the elementary electron charge and the equation F=qE are used, followed by F=MA to solve.
ghettobob

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated by a constant electric field of magnitude 300 nC. a) Find the acceleration of the electron. b) Use the equations of motion with constant acceleration to find the electron's speed after 1.00x10^-8 seconds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start with finding the acceleration, but once I know how to do that part b is easy. Do I just plug in the elementary electron charge along with F=qE then use F=MA to solve?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's what you should do.

nicksauce said:
Yes, that's what you should do.

Ok, just needed clarification on that.

1. What is an electric field acceleration problem?

An electric field acceleration problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field. This type of problem typically involves using the equations for electric force and Newton's second law to determine the acceleration of the particle.

2. How do I solve an electric field acceleration problem?

To solve an electric field acceleration problem, you will first need to determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the location of the charged particle. Then, you will use the equation for electric force (F=qE) to calculate the force on the particle. Finally, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the acceleration of the particle.

3. What are the units of electric field acceleration?

The units of electric field acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This is the standard unit for acceleration in physics.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field?

The acceleration of a charged particle in an electric field is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. Additionally, the presence of other electric charges or magnetic fields may also affect the acceleration of the particle.

5. Can I use the same approach to solve all electric field acceleration problems?

While the general approach to solving electric field acceleration problems is the same, the specific steps and equations used may vary depending on the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it, and to adapt your approach as needed.