Recommended Physical Chemistry Text

In summary, two books have been recommended by the professor for a Physical Chemistry course: "Physical Chemistry" by Ira Levine and "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Donald A. McQuarrie. The first book is highly regarded and considered the "bible" of physical chemistry, while the second book is a newer edition and praised for its clarity and helpfulness in later courses. However, the quality of both books is subjective and ultimately it is up to the student to choose which one will be most beneficial for their learning.
ChaoticLlama
Hello, I'm taking Physical Chemistry I in second year, and my prof does not have a required book for the course and everything will be based off his notes (which are very good by the way)

However, I would like a deeper understanding of the material, and the prof did recommend two books. What, if anything, do you know about their quality?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072534958/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013027805X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

here is the course description:

http://www.ucalendar.uwaterloo.ca/0607/COURSE/course-CHE.html#CHE200S" -- Look for CHE 230

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Levine's book is the bible. You wouldn't error if you chose it.

hi
any one has this ebook?

Physical Chemistry by Ira Levine
i need it ,please help me

McQuarrie's new textbook on Physical Chemistry is a great text. And if you take stat. mech. later with McQuarrie's legendary Statistical Mechanics textbook, you will have quite the advantage.

chemisttree said:
Levine's book is the bible. You wouldn't error if you chose it.

I just finished a course with it, I wouldn't call it the bible. Its way to verbose and muddled - and the questions are very basic. Had it not been for my profs interesting problem sets and lecture notes, Levine would have left me with a shallow knowledge.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything better.

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of macroscopic, atomic, subatomic, and particulate phenomena in chemical systems in terms of the principles, practices, and concepts of physics, including energy, force, and time.

2. Why is it important to study physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how chemical reactions occur at the molecular level. This knowledge is crucial for the development of new materials, medicines, and technologies.

3. What are some recommended physical chemistry textbooks?

Some popular physical chemistry textbooks include "Physical Chemistry" by P.W. Atkins, "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by D. McQuarrie and J.D. Simon, and "Physical Chemistry" by T. Engel and P. Reid.

4. How can I choose the best physical chemistry textbook for my needs?

When choosing a physical chemistry textbook, consider your level of understanding, learning style, and the topics covered in the book. It's also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or colleagues.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physical chemistry textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can supplement a physical chemistry textbook. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, ChemLibreTexts, and ChemGuide.