US Stealth Bomber Crash: USAF Probes Guam Incident

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, the US military is investigating a crash of a B-2 stealth bomber on the island of Guam. The crash is the first ever for this type of aircraft, which costs $1.2 billion each to build. Both pilots were able to eject safely before the plane went down. The B-2 is a rare aircraft, with only 21 in operation by the US. The crashed plane was not carrying any weapons at the time of the incident. The bomber is capable of carrying both nuclear and conventional weapons.
fourier jr
US probes crash of stealth bomber
Last Updated: Saturday, 23 February 2008, 19:15 GMT

The US military is investigating why a B-2 stealth bomber crashed shortly after take-off on the island of Guam.
The United States Air Force (USAF) says the crash is the first ever involving the radar evading plane, which cost about $1.2bn (£610m) each to build.

They say both pilots ejected safely before the plane came down at Andersen Air Force Base.

The B-2 was one of just 21 such aircraft operated by the US, the only country which has the stealth bomber.

The crashed aircraft was not carrying munitions at the time of the incident, according to a statement from the Pacific Air Command.

The bomber is capable of carrying nuclear as well as conventional weapons.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7260795.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
Damn, that's a shame. Such a nice aircraft, and F'in expensive.

And really very rare to have one crash. Glad the pilots were able to get out.

I'm sorry, but Ha ha ha...ha ha...ha. I have no sympathy for the military and their death machines. Even if both of my grandfathers, plus two uncles, were in the Army and Navy.

binzing said:
I'm sorry, but Ha ha ha...ha ha...ha. I have no sympathy for the military and their death machines. Even if both of my grandfathers, plus two uncles, were in the Army and Navy.

...?

Cyrus said:
...?

He's entitled to his opinion. If you're going to respond, type up an actual response.

- Warren

binzing said:

But you must feel sorry for your tax dollars. However you can feel happy for the good people at Northrop Grumman's Military Aircraft Systems Division, Boeing Military Airplanes Co, Hughes Radar Systems Group, and General Electric Aircraft Engine Group because they all will probably in the near future be getting a big contract.

Hey, the pilots were OK so that's good. Yeah the technology is cool (make that really cool) but the implementation and cause are wrong.

Whats wrong about killing the enemy?

Define enemy, and the reason to kill them. Like actual threat level

I don't pay taxes (yet). If our high school yearbook had a "Most likely to become an ex-pat." I'd likely be on there.

binzing said:
Define enemy, and the reason to kill them. Like actual threat level

Thats a legal definition based on the UN and the US law.

For example, I want the Iraqi insurgents vaporized into sand.

They'll just fire out more of 'em if we keep showing that all we feel towards them is hatred. Also, the deserts of Iraq have enough sand.

The problem with your argument is that you are connecting two separate ideas. We hate insurgents. These are not normal Iraqis, who we help. We show the Iraqi people we do not tolerate people hostile to the US, Iraqis, and the Iraqi government. We demonstrate this lack of tolerance by weeding them out and killing every last one of them if they do not decide to lay down their weapons.

It would be nice if life were black and white, but its not. And there are people in this world that need to be eliminated; -and you can't make apologies for doing it.

Last edited:
I wasn't generalizing Iraqis and insurgents. How do you suggest we stop insurgents? We need to change their perspective. We can't kill every last one of them.

That is the flaw in your logic. You can't change fundamentally radical people. You can only eliminate them, and hope the moderates will help and take over. The Iraqis have to stop the insurgents in their country. Its their problem more than ours.

Yes it is there problem more than ours, but they're still likely to lapse back to the old ways. Also, if we continue killing relentlessly and our killing to helping ratio gets top heavy its going to affect the regular Iraqis views. Hey I'm just a 15 year old kid, what the hell do I know.

So based on your logic. We can let them 'lapse back to their old ways' killing each other, or we can help them to kill insurgents and get on track to modern society. In what way is your solution more moral than the one that involves eliminating our enemy. (And by our, I mean Iraqis and Americans Enemy).

One thing you will have to come to terms with in the real world is that killing our enemy is the moral thing to do.

You're also using your words very loosely. Define 'killing relentlessly'.

Killing relentlessly: searching out and destroying all insurgents (as you suggest)

I did not suggest we teach the Iraqis to kill the insurgents, where did you figure that from? I said that we need to change the views of the insurgents, as well as helping the whole population, across sectarian boundaries.

binzing said:
Killing relentlessly: searching out and destroying all insurgents (as you suggest)

I did not suggest we teach the Iraqis to kill the insurgents, where did you figure that from? I said that we need to change the views of the insurgents, as well as helping the whole population, across sectarian boundaries.

Then you are purposefully using a very poor and misleading definition to suit your position. Searching out and destroying an enemy is highly moral act, and is one that shows care and concern for innocent civilians in the process.

I know you did not suggest we teach the Iraqis to kill the insurgents, but that's exactly what I am suggesting.

Can you explain how you are going to change the views of the insurgents without the use of deadly force? In the real world, that will not only get you killed, but embolden the insurgents to cause even more harm to you. If you want to get your enemy to calm down, you show them that either they can be reasonable, or that you will utterly ahnilate them.

Do you think a reasonable enemy would attack innocent civilians by blowing them up during a funeral? How are you going to talk reason into them? This is the basic problem with your logic.

Last edited:
Whatever, your not going to change your mind, and I'm not going to make you. Evo...Moonbear...Please kill this thread.

Correction: Your not willing to see the world for what it is. Yes, its nice if the world were one big happy place, but sadly its not. But your line of thinking is dangerous. You might think it saves lives, but in fact it does the opposite. It gets more people killed.

You misunderstand and seem to enjoy taking somewhat logical statements and blowing them out your ass. I'm done.

But you avoided the question. How are you going to non-violently stop these people in a war?

Its not easy when you apply black and white logic to the real world where everything is shades of gray.

You can't make statements like 'relentless killing' and 'death machines' and not expect someone to hold you accountable for your statements.

I want you to appreciate what your grandfathers and uncles did when they served in the military, or you'd be speaking German/Russian right now and killing Jews in death camps. Or you would be speaking Arabic and praising Allah 7 times a day. (And no, these are not exaggerations).

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
That is the flaw in your logic. You can't change fundamentally radical people. You can only eliminate them, and hope the moderates will help and take over. The Iraqis have to stop the insurgents in their country. Its their problem more than ours.

You're sounding fairly fundamentally radical to me - shall i eliminate you?

In what way is anything I have said radical?

Killing those who want to kill you, and protecting those that don't are fundamentally moral. The same way a police man that shoots dead a crazed gunman is morally justified.

In what way does my definition of radical have to match your own?

If you try to kill me, or my allies in the world, I will find you and destroy you. No apologies. No second guesses. You're dead.

Are you quite sure you're not German and we're not in the 1940s?

Please present a serious argument if you want to dispute me. Waiving your hands in the air really means nothing to me.

I have clearly outlined cases where its morally justified to kill an enemy. Making a generalized nonsensical statement isn't going to fly with me.

Hard to enter in a serious discussion with an idiot.

-Job- said:
Hard to enter in a serious discussion with an idiot.

So basically, you have nothing to say other than name calling.

Nothing more worthwhile to say? Yes.

I hope when innocent people are killed you don't call them idiots too because you did nothing to save their lives. I also hope you don't consider the familes of dead US and Iraqi soldiers to be idiots who died trying to make that country a better place.

You can call me an idiot, but don't imply that they are. That is too disrespectful.

That must be because anything that doesn't involve killing qualifies as nothing right?

<h2>1. What caused the US Stealth Bomber to crash in Guam?</h2><p>The cause of the US Stealth Bomber crash in Guam is still under investigation by the United States Air Force. Initial reports suggest that the crash may have been due to mechanical failure.</p><h2>2. Were there any casualties in the US Stealth Bomber crash?</h2><p>Fortunately, there were no casualties reported in the US Stealth Bomber crash in Guam. The pilot was able to eject safely and was rescued by a US Coast Guard helicopter.</p><h2>3. Has this type of incident happened before with US Stealth Bombers?</h2><p>While rare, this is not the first time a US Stealth Bomber has crashed. In 2008, a B-2 Stealth Bomber crashed in Guam due to a similar mechanical failure. However, the US Air Force has a strong safety record with these aircraft and incidents like this are extremely uncommon.</p><h2>4. Will this incident affect the use of US Stealth Bombers in the future?</h2><p>At this time, it is too early to determine if this incident will have any impact on the use of US Stealth Bombers in the future. The investigation is ongoing and any necessary changes or updates will be made based on the findings.</p><h2>5. How does the US Air Force handle crashes like this?</h2><p>The US Air Force has a thorough and detailed protocol for handling crashes like this. The investigation will involve a team of experts analyzing data and evidence to determine the cause of the crash. Any necessary changes or updates will be made to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.</p>

1. What caused the US Stealth Bomber to crash in Guam?

The cause of the US Stealth Bomber crash in Guam is still under investigation by the United States Air Force. Initial reports suggest that the crash may have been due to mechanical failure.

2. Were there any casualties in the US Stealth Bomber crash?

Fortunately, there were no casualties reported in the US Stealth Bomber crash in Guam. The pilot was able to eject safely and was rescued by a US Coast Guard helicopter.

3. Has this type of incident happened before with US Stealth Bombers?

While rare, this is not the first time a US Stealth Bomber has crashed. In 2008, a B-2 Stealth Bomber crashed in Guam due to a similar mechanical failure. However, the US Air Force has a strong safety record with these aircraft and incidents like this are extremely uncommon.

4. Will this incident affect the use of US Stealth Bombers in the future?

At this time, it is too early to determine if this incident will have any impact on the use of US Stealth Bombers in the future. The investigation is ongoing and any necessary changes or updates will be made based on the findings.

5. How does the US Air Force handle crashes like this?

The US Air Force has a thorough and detailed protocol for handling crashes like this. The investigation will involve a team of experts analyzing data and evidence to determine the cause of the crash. Any necessary changes or updates will be made to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.