Metal Wire in Equilibrium & Steady-State

In summary, equilibrium in a metal wire means that the net electric field inside the wire is zero, there are no excess charges in the interior, the wire is neutral, there is no net flow of mobile electrons, and there may be excess charges on the surface of the wire. In the steady state, the wire may have a nonzero, uniform electric field inside, there is no net flow of mobile electrons, the net electric field everywhere inside the wire is zero, there may be excess charges on the surface of the wire, and the interior of the wire is neutral.
feedmeister
Hi all,

I've been struggling with the concept of equilibrium and steady state in a metal wire. Can anyone of you please help me get this important concept down?

I'd really appreciate it. --

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements about a metal wire in equilibrium are true? Select all that apply.
  1. There are no excess charges in the interior of the wire.
  2. The net electric field everywhere inside the wire is zero.
  3. The electric field inside the wire may be nonzero but uniform.
  4. There cannot be excess charges on the surface of the wire.
  5. There may be a constant flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
  6. There may be excess charges on the surface of the wire.
  7. The interior of the metal wire is neutral.
  8. There is no net flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
  9. There may be excess charges in the interior of the wire.

Which of the following statements about a metal wire in the steady state are true? Select all that apply.
  1. There may be a nonzero, uniform electric field inside the wire.
  2. There is no net flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
  3. The net electric field everywhere inside the wire is zero.
  4. There may be excess charges on the surface of the wire.
  5. There cannot be excess charges on the surface of the wire.
  6. The interior of the metal wire is neutral.
  7. There are no excess charges in the interior of the wire.
  8. There is a constant flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
  9. There may be excess charges in the interior of the wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I've tried searching the book, but I guess I might have been too hasty to post online so quickly, but I really want to understand what's going on, and I've been trying to figure this out for the last half hour and it's driving me nuts. Here are the combinations I tried so far for each question.

Metal Wire in Equilibrium:
Try 1: 2,4,7,8
Try 2: 1,2,4,7,8
Try 3: 1,2,4,5,7,8

Metal Wire in Steady-State:
Try 1: 1,4
Try 2: 1,4,8
Try 3: 1,4,8,9

Hopefully someone can quickly help me understand what is going on in Steady State and Equilibrium. I'd really appreciate a fast response.

Thanks and best regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having difficulty with the exact same question at the moment. Yippee. any thoughts?

mee too I have the same problems on this one too

I got the answer to the steady state problem but I don't know the other one.

There are no excess charges in the interior of the wire.
There is a constant flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
There may be excess charges on the surface of the wire.
There may be a nonzero, uniform electric field inside the wire.
The interior of the metal wire is neutral.

Thoughts on the equilibrium problem?

These are the correct choices...
"Which of the following statements about a metal wire in equilibrium are true? Select all that apply."
The net electric field everywhere inside the wire is zero.
There are no excess charges in the interior of the wire.
The interior of the metal wire is neutral.
There is no net flow of mobile electrons inside the wire.
There may be excess charges on the surface of the wire.

1. What is meant by equilibrium and steady-state in relation to metal wire?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which the forces acting on the wire are balanced, resulting in no net movement or change. Steady-state refers to a condition where the wire has reached a stable and unchanging state, with no further changes in properties or behavior.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a metal wire?

Equilibrium in a metal wire is achieved when the forces acting on the wire are equal and opposite, resulting in a state of balance. This can be achieved through proper placement and arrangement of the wire, as well as through the application of external forces such as tension or compression.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium and steady-state of a metal wire?

The equilibrium and steady-state of a metal wire can be influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the wire (such as elasticity and strength), the external forces acting on the wire, and the environment in which the wire is placed (such as temperature and humidity).

4. How does the length and thickness of a metal wire affect its equilibrium and steady-state?

The length and thickness of a metal wire can greatly impact its equilibrium and steady-state. A longer wire will typically require more force to achieve equilibrium, while a thicker wire can handle greater forces without changing its state. These factors also play a role in determining the wire's natural frequency and resonance.

5. Can a metal wire remain in equilibrium and steady-state indefinitely?

While it is possible for a metal wire to remain in equilibrium and steady-state for a long period of time, it is not sustainable indefinitely. Over time, external factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and corrosion can affect the wire's properties and cause it to shift out of equilibrium. Regular maintenance and adjustments are necessary to maintain equilibrium and steady-state over time.