What is the Carrying Capacity of a Stocked Lake?

In summary, scientists stocked a lake with `400` fish and estimated the carrying capacity (the maximal population for the fish of that species in that lake) to be `6900`. The number of fish doubled in the first year. However, the individual fish could not find little k, which led to confusion and frustration for the biologists.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

Biologists stocked a lake with `400` fish and estimated the carrying capacity (the maximal population for the fish of that species in that lake) to be `6900`. The number of fish doubled in the first year.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do everything in this problem once I find little k. Only issue is...I can't find little k.

I thought it would be the ln(2) = .693, but it's .757, and I can't figure out how that answer got there. Once I can find k, I can do the rest easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I ask which equations you used? And what do they want you to find? Once you tell me that I can give a good rundown of methods on finding the constant...

I didn't really use any equations. I just thought I recalled from some classwork we did that, since the amount of fish doubled in one year, k would be the ln(2). I know there's a way to prove that, but I don't recall it at the moment. But that wasn't correct.

hmmmm, okay, unfortunately the way I would do this is with differential equations... I can't really tell whether you're in high school or not, would using them be okay? If not I would just personally go to a homework helper, I would only see an equation and throw it at you unless its something that I've worked with recently...

No, I'm in college. This is a calculus class I'm in. IIRC, you don't actually NEED calculus to solve this problem, but if you want to use it that's fine.

If you are in college then you must have learned some common sense!

You wrote:
I know how to do everything in this problem once I find little k. Only issue is...I can't find little k.

and, when asked what equations you were talking about,
I didn't really use any equations. I just thought I recalled from some classwork we did that, since the amount of fish doubled in one year, k would be the ln(2).

Now, how is that going to make anys sense to us when you haven't told us what "k" means! If you could do the problem is that you "can't find little k", at least tell us what equation you would put "littel k" into!

I guess that's the bets way to put it, although you can sometimes go off of classwork to really solve the problem you needto understand what's going on... have you solved it yet or can you show me a presentation of the original problem?

1. What is the "Population Max problem"?

The "Population Max problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum population size that a given environment can support over a certain period of time.

2. What factors affect the maximum population size?

The maximum population size is affected by a variety of factors, including the availability of resources, competition for resources, environmental conditions, and the presence of predators or diseases.

3. How is the maximum population size calculated?

The maximum population size is typically calculated using mathematical models that take into account the factors mentioned above. These models use equations and data from past population growth patterns to estimate the maximum population size that a given environment can sustain.

4. Why is the "Population Max problem" important?

The "Population Max problem" is important because it helps us understand the relationship between population size and the environment. It can also inform conservation efforts and help us make decisions about managing natural resources.

5. Can the maximum population size change over time?

Yes, the maximum population size can change over time. Environmental conditions and other factors can fluctuate, causing the maximum population size to increase or decrease. In addition, human activities such as habitat destruction and pollution can also impact the maximum population size of a species.