PROOF: Independent vectors and spanning vectors

In summary, in order to span a space of dimension m, we need at least m vectors which are independent and form a basis for that dimension. To determine if vectors are linearly independent, we can use the condition of au+bv=0 and perform row reduction on the stacked matrix. If there is no row of zeros, then the vectors are independent.
Ella087
Proof:
1. why you need at least m vectors to span a space of dimension m.
2. If m vectors span an m-dimensional space, then they form a basis of the space.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know how to do proofs?

What does it mean to say that a vector space has finite dimension? (NOT just that "its dimension is finite. You have to have 'finite' dimension before you can define dimension.) What is the definition of "dimension n".

Try reading some definitions in your textbook.

And reading some proofs of some easy theorems. You'll see how to apply definitions to prove statements like you have.

these are proved in my free linear algebra notes on my web page. the full details are not given, but i believe the proofs can be filled in without huge difficulty, if you try and understand the definitions.

lets start from the definition that a basis consists only from
independant vectors
now in order to span some space in "n" dimention you need to have "n" independant vectors
which are a basis for this dimention.

Find the independance

Find if these vectors are lineary independant :..

U=(1 2 9) . v=(2 3 5) .

I know the condition of the lineary independant is

au+bv=0 but how I can use this condition here .,.,.,

Please If you know the answer u can send it at >> ahmedtomyus@yahoo.com

Last edited:
noooooooooooooo
dont use that formula
stack them one upon the other as matrix and make a row reduction
if you dond have a line of zeros in the resolt then they are independant

tomyus said:
Find if these vectors are lineary independant :..

U=(1 2 9) . v=(2 3 5) .

I know the condition of the lineary independant is

au+bv=0 but how I can use this condition here .,.,.,

Please If you know the answer u can send it at >> ahmedtomyus@yahoo.com
Normally I would not respond to a question that has nothing to do with the original question but since transgalactic responded to it...

transgalactic said:
noooooooooooooo
dont use that formula
stack them one upon the other as matrix and make a row reduction
if you dond have a line of zeros in the resolt then they are independant
Why not? au+ bv= a(1, 2, 9)+ b(2, 3, 5)= (a+2b, 2a+ 3b, 9a+ 5b)= (0, 0, 0) seems easy enough. We must a+ 2b= 0, so a= -2b. Then 2a+ 3b= -6a+ 3b= -3b= 0. b must equal 0, so a= -2b= 0 also. Since a and b must both be 0 the two vectors are, by definition, independent.

Yes, if we have 10 vectors or 10000 then "row reduction" would be simpler but I believe it is better practice to use the basic definitions.

1. What is the difference between independent vectors and spanning vectors?

Independent vectors are a set of vectors that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. Spanning vectors, on the other hand, are a set of vectors that can create any vector in a given vector space through linear combinations.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is independent?

A set of vectors is independent if the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 is when all the coefficients (c1, c2, ..., cn) are equal to zero.

3. Can a set of independent vectors also be spanning?

Yes, a set of independent vectors can also be spanning. If a set of vectors is both independent and spanning, it is called a basis for the vector space.

4. How do you find the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in a basis for that vector space. For example, if a basis for a vector space has 3 vectors, then the dimension of that vector space is 3.

5. Is every set of vectors in a vector space spanning?

No, not every set of vectors in a vector space is spanning. In order for a set of vectors to be spanning, they must be able to create any vector in that vector space through linear combinations. If a set of vectors is not spanning, then it is not a basis for that vector space.