Canadian Engineering undergrad

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student seeking advice on where to pursue their undergraduate degree in engineering, specifically focusing on the civil engineering programs at the University of Toronto and McMaster University. The student is also considering the management option at McMaster and the Skoll program at UofT. They also mention the importance of campus environment and personal preferences. The conversation also touches on the idea of getting an MBA and its relevance to the engineering field, as well as the perceived prestige of McMaster's MBA program. The student is seeking opinions on whether the choice of undergraduate school will have a significant impact on job opportunities, particularly in relation to graduate school.
theomicron
Hi everyone,

I'm a relative noob to the forums, but I've spent a bit of time browsing through them, and I look forward to participating.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice on where I should go for my undergrad in engineering (I'm edging towards civil).

I live in Toronto, and my two main choices are UofT or McMaster. At McMaster, I can add the management option (I enjoy business/economics), whereas at UofT I could jump straight into an MBA via the Skoll program. However, there is some support for the idea of waiting a bit on the MBA and getting it at a more prestigious institution (if I went to Mac).

However, I'm straying. What I'd really like help advice on are the two civil engineering programs at those schools. I intend to select the environmental option for whichever one I end up choosing.

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
to be quite frank, the management option is an option you'll find at nearly every ontario undergrad engineering school. perhaps under a different name (ie: management science @ waterloo) but i wouldn't put too much weight on that for deciding where you want to spend your undergrad.

from a somewhat preliminary run through of the skoll program, it looks like it could be worth it should you be able to meet the requirements. you may be saving perhaps a bit of time through that route.

in my opinion, however cliche it may be, is that you should try your best to see if you'll like the campus environment. chances are, you'll have many late nights during your eng. undergrad working on whatever it may be. so it'd be wise to go somewhere that's personally comfortable, convenient, and more your to your liking.

i may be wrong but i believe the general require full-time work exp. requirement is about 2 years before applying for an mba... barring any special scenarios. that's also something to think about, whether it's a pro or con. you may like eng work or you might get bored of it (which isn't rare).

another point, yet unimportant at this stage, is that I've never really heard of mcmaster's mba program being prestigious. i don't have a vendetta against mac but i'd probably put ivey, rotman, ubc's and schulich above it.

If you enjoy business, you don't need an MBA to start one.
If you want to be in upper management for a large company and you think a MBA will help you, then work for a large company that will offer you money to study for a MBA. You'll probably want to get your P.Eng license first if you're going to stick around in Civil after graduation.
I've met 3 UofT Civil Eng. Professors and they seem to be very nice and have a dedication toward undergraduate teaching and that is really important. Go and see the campus, meet the professors, get a tour of the labs, even talk to students and get a better picture.

Thank you both for your input; Larphraulen: I don't intend to get an MBA at Mac; I'd try and land somewhere most prestigious for that, but that's quite a ways in the future, so I don't necessarily have to worry about that right now.

Makethings: I agree largely with what you describe, in terms of getting to know the university. However, I am extremely familiar with the UofT campus, and the people I know in civil engineering at UofT hate it. Then, the people I know at Mac like the program, but hate living in Hamilton. It seems to me to be difficult to get the best of both worlds.

I was considering UofT largely because it is a much more prestigious university than Mac is, but then I realize that for undergrad, it probably won't make that much of a difference, since they are all certified by the same professional engineering institution. I would get the same education no matter which school I went to

Is my belief that it will only make a significant difference in job aspects depending on where I go for grad school correct?

Thanks for your input.

What is the duration of a Canadian Engineering undergraduate program?

The duration of a Canadian Engineering undergraduate program is typically 4 years. However, some programs may have the option for an additional year of co-op or internship experience.

What are the admission requirements for a Canadian Engineering undergraduate program?

The admission requirements for a Canadian Engineering undergraduate program vary between universities, but generally include a high school diploma with strong grades in math and science courses, as well as possibly a personal statement and letters of recommendation.

What are the most common specializations within Canadian Engineering undergraduate programs?

The most common specializations within Canadian Engineering undergraduate programs include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. However, there are also programs available in more niche areas such as biomedical engineering and environmental engineering.

What opportunities are available for hands-on experience in a Canadian Engineering undergraduate program?

Many Canadian Engineering undergraduate programs offer opportunities for hands-on experience through co-op or internship programs, where students can gain practical work experience in their field of study. Many programs also have project-based courses and design teams where students can apply their knowledge and skills to real-world projects.

What career prospects are available for graduates of Canadian Engineering undergraduate programs?

Graduates of Canadian Engineering undergraduate programs have a wide range of career prospects available to them, including roles in industries such as manufacturing, construction, technology, and consulting. They may also choose to pursue further education through graduate studies or professional certifications.