Maths Exam in 3 Days: How to Revise Thoroughly

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
So in summary, the best way to revise these topics thoroughly is to practice a lot of problems and make sure you understand the basic algebra techniques and rules involved in solving them. You may not have time to fully understand every single question, but by practicing and focusing on mastering the techniques, you will improve your overall understanding and performance on the exam.
Learnphysics
I have a maths exam in 3 days,
The topics are as follows, plus i included what kind of questions the topic will ask, not saying i don't know how to do any of these, but what's the most efficient way to revise these topics thoroughly?

Basic arithmetic-
eg. Evaluate sqrt((pi(5.34)^2)/25.74 - 7.29)
simplify 2*sqrt(54) + sqrt(150)

Basic algebra-
eg (x/3)-(3/5)=2

Equations-
eg. 9x^2 +6x =4 (leave answer in surd form)

Physics news on Phys.org
"Evaluate" means perform the arithmetic operations and find the number in its simplest form.

"Simplify" means eliminate the redundant factors and combine any like terms.

I think you may have misunderstood my question

"whats the most efficient way to revise these topics thoroughly?"

because i fear i have many gaps in my knowledge, and need to thoroughly go through all of these topics in 3 days

Practice problems, if you can't solve it you don't know the concept behind it yet. That way you know your flaws and will have those concepts fresh in your head.

It's strange that you would think that you have gaps in your knowledge, when they are not asking you informational questions. They are asking you to do calculations. Either you know how to do them or not. So I would advise you just to practice a lot.

Or do you mean that you are lacking in some of the knowledge of the rules of algebra that would be required to do the calculations? If so, then you need to go back to basics.

Again, it's not information so much as techniques that you're being tested on, so I'm confused by your question.

Sorry, yes i am in fact reffering to some algebra/equation/arithmetic techniques and rules.

Thanks on the lots of practice questions

Im torn between taking time to understand a few questions, and understand exactly what goes on behind the technique

or

Just perfecting using the technique (eg working time)

I havn't time to do both.

Learnphysics said:
Sorry, yes i am in fact reffering to some algebra/equation/arithmetic techniques and rules.

Thanks on the lots of practice questions

Im torn between taking time to understand a few questions, and understand exactly what goes on behind the technique

or

Just perfecting using the technique (eg working time)

I havn't time to do both.

There's not much behind the techniques you are using. It's just basic algebra, so there shouldn't be many concepts to learn.

1. How much time should I spend revising for my maths exam in 3 days?

It is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours each day revising for your maths exam in 3 days. This will give you enough time to cover all the important topics and practice enough questions.

2. What is the best way to revise for a maths exam in 3 days?

The best way to revise for a maths exam in 3 days is to first make a study schedule, focusing on the topics that you find most challenging. Then, review your notes and practice solving different types of problems. It is also helpful to work on past exam papers to familiarize yourself with the exam format.

3. How can I stay motivated while revising for a maths exam in 3 days?

One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals for each study session and reward yourself after completing them. You can also study with a friend or join a study group to keep each other accountable and motivated.

4. Should I study alone or with a study group for my maths exam in 3 days?

This depends on your personal preference and learning style. If you find it helpful to discuss and explain concepts to others, then studying with a group may be beneficial. However, if you prefer to work independently, studying alone may be more effective.

5. How can I effectively use past exam papers to prepare for my maths exam in 3 days?

Using past exam papers can help you understand the types of questions that may appear on your exam and identify any weak areas that need more attention. Make sure to time yourself while solving the questions and review your answers to understand where you went wrong. This will help you improve your problem-solving skills and boost your confidence for the actual exam.