Solving Engineering Mechanics Dynamics Problems

• Thread starter Fat Ryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, this physics professor is really hard to do well in and the material is hard. There are videos which can help, and although the class may be different than what you are used to, hopefully you can get something from it.
Fat Ryan
Im not here to ask about a homework problem or anything. I just need to figure out a method of solving these problems. I just can't get it no matter how much i try. I am a senior working toward my BS in physics. I have 3 classes left till i graduate (after this semester) and I have no problems with other classes just this one (all A's this semester so far). I know a major part of it is that i have a lousy professor. i had him for modern atomic physics and statics and I've always done bad in his classes. and i got him for quantum mechanics next semester too lol. anyways, i been seeing a tutor to solve homework problems and have him explain things to me. whenever I am there, the problems seem so easy and make perfect sense to me. but then when i try to go do them on my own i always get stuck so easily. the book is pretty crappy too so reading it virtually never helps me. we got a test coming up on thursday and i really need to do good on it. it will cover sections 3/6 & 3/7 work energy applications, 3/9 & 3/10 impulse momentum applications, and 3/13 central force motion from our book "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" 6th ed. by Meriam & Kraige. i honestly haven't even gotten into 3/13 yet (he just assigned it last class). but i have been working through problems in the other sections. i want to be able to work these problems until i can do them in my sleep, but i feel like I am getting nowhere. so are there's any tools or tips you guys have for solving these types of problems? i know this is kindof a broad question, but i honestly will consider any advise at this point lol. thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really liked Meriam and Kraige!

Anyway, one professor that teaches dynamics at my school has put together a series of videos which solve a lot of problems from this book. He is an amazing professor so hopefully you will find it helpful. It is here:

http://me274sp08.blogspot.com/

This is a sophomore level course in Mechanical Engineering at my university so it may be a bit different but hopefully you can get something from it.

h2oski1326 said:

Anyway, one professor that teaches dynamics at my school has put together a series of videos which solve a lot of problems from this book. He is an amazing professor so hopefully you will find it helpful. It is here:

This is a sophomore level course in Mechanical Engineering at my university so it may be a bit different but hopefully you can get something from it.
cool, thanks alot.

im sure our classes are no different its just that my school isn't a big science school so dynamics and statics are only offered every 2 years. and since i transferred here my junior year i couldn't take it until now.

h2oski1326 said:

actually it looks like you cover a lot more material than us. most the semester we've only been doing ch 2 & 3. and i think were getting into a little of 5 and/or 6 in the last few weeks of class. but i guess that should be expected from a school like Purdue lol. saw that stats for your 2nd exam and that made me feel a little better lol. our stats for our exams in statics and dynamics are kindof inbetween your exam 1&2 (~65-70% out of 100%). i just hope that my problem is with the professor and book and not the fact that I am not cut out for this, because I am applying to grad school for civil engineering :crap: all my other physics is easy (for the most part), why is mechanics so damn hard??

1. What is Engineering Mechanics Dynamics?

Engineering Mechanics Dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of external forces. It is used to analyze and predict the movement of structures, machines, and other mechanical systems.

2. What are the steps involved in solving Engineering Mechanics Dynamics problems?

The steps involved in solving Engineering Mechanics Dynamics problems are:

1. Identifying the known and unknown variables
  2. Drawing a free-body diagram
  3. Applying Newton's laws of motion
  4. Solving equations using algebra and calculus
  5. Interpreting and analyzing the results

3. What are the most common types of problems encountered in Engineering Mechanics Dynamics?

The most common types of problems encountered in Engineering Mechanics Dynamics include particle motion, rigid body dynamics, kinematics, and kinetics. These problems involve analyzing the motion of objects and systems in different scenarios such as constant velocity, acceleration, circular motion, and collisions.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Engineering Mechanics Dynamics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Engineering Mechanics Dynamics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Practice drawing free-body diagrams and solving various types of problems. Additionally, working on real-world projects and seeking guidance from experienced engineers can also help improve your skills.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Engineering Mechanics Dynamics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Engineering Mechanics Dynamics problems include:

• Not labeling and defining all the variables in the problem
  • Using incorrect equations or formulas
  • Forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object
  • Not considering the direction of the forces and motion
  • Not checking the units and dimensions of the final answer