Calculating EMF from Rotating Spherical Shell in a Magnetic Field

Expert summarizerIn summary, the question asks to calculate the emf developed between the "north pole" and the equator of a perfectly conducting spherical shell rotating in a uniform magnetic field. The concept of emf can be applied in this context as the rotation of the shell induces a change in magnetic flux, resulting in an electric field and an emf. By considering the path from the "north pole" to the equator as a loop, we can use Faraday's law to calculate the emf.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

A perfectly conducting spherical shell of radius 'a' rotates about the z-axis with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] in a uniform magnetic field [itex] \mathbf{B} = B_0 \hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex]. Calculate the emf developed between the "north pole" and the equator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how emf makes sense in this context. I have only seen emf in currents. The emf is defined as an integral around a LOOP:
[tex]\int_{loop} \mathbf{f} \cdot d\mathbf{l} [/tex]
I don't see how you would generalize it here.
I already read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=112819.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion about the concept of emf in this context. Let me try to explain it to you.

Firstly, emf (electromotive force) is a measure of the energy per unit charge that is available from an electric source. In this case, the rotating spherical shell can be considered as an electric source, since it is moving in a magnetic field. The rotation of the shell causes a change in the magnetic flux through the surface, which in turn induces an electric field and hence an emf.

Now, in order to calculate the emf, we need to consider the path along which the emf is being measured. In this case, the path is from the "north pole" to the equator. This path can be thought of as a loop, and hence we can use the same formula for calculating the emf as in a current loop.

So, to calculate the emf, we need to find the line integral of the electric field along this path. The electric field can be calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the emf induced in a closed loop is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of emf in this context. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the measure of the energy that causes electric charges to move through a circuit. It is also known as voltage.

How do you calculate EMF from a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating EMF from a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field is:
EMF = B * A * w * sin(theta)
Where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the spherical shell, w is the angular velocity of rotation, and theta is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector of the surface.

What is the significance of a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field?

A rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field is a commonly used model in electromagnetism to study the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. It helps in understanding the relationship between magnetic fields and the production of electric currents.

Can EMF be negative?

Yes, EMF can be negative. This usually occurs when the magnetic field and the normal vector of the surface are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the sine of theta in the EMF formula.

How does the speed of rotation affect the EMF?

The speed of rotation, or the angular velocity, has a direct impact on the magnitude of the EMF. The faster the spherical shell rotates, the higher the EMF will be. This is because a higher angular velocity results in a larger change in magnetic flux, which is a key factor in the EMF formula.