Spin 0 Particles: Tachyon & Beyond

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tachyon
In summary, any scalar field particle, like the Higgs, has spin zero. Tachyons may also have a spin of 0, but they have not yet been observed and remain hypothetical particles. While they may cause problems with causality, they do not necessarily break Lorentz invariance. They can exist in theories, but only become problematic when they interact with ordinary matter.
Chaos' lil bro Order
The tachyon has a spin of 0, does any other particle have a spin of 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any scalar field particle, like the Higgs, has spin zero. Of course, we've not observed one (yet) so these are hypothetical particles.

cristo said:
Any scalar field particle, like the Higgs, has spin zero. Of course, we've not observed one (yet) so these are hypothetical particles.

What is a "scalar field particle"?

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
The tachyon has a spin of 0

I have trouble with this. First, nobody has seen a tachyon. Second, a spin-1/2 or spin-1 tachyon is no more and no less likely than a spin-0 tachyon.

Vanadium 50 said:
I have trouble with this. First, nobody has seen a tachyon. Second, a spin-1/2 or spin-1 tachyon is no more and no less likely than a spin-0 tachyon.
This I think refers to the tachyon "problem" in string theories, which is the lowest angular momentum particle along the trajectory (so is probably a scalar :rolleyes:).

Vanadium 50 said:

This may be a stupid question, but would a spin 1/2 tachyon break the Lorentz symmetry?

Ack. Yes. Stupid questions. Tachyons break Lorentz invariance anyway.

Dammit Ben...THINK!

BenTheMan said:
Ack. Yes. Stupid questions. Tachyons break Lorentz invariance anyway.

Dammit Ben...THINK!

Maybe *I* am the one not thinking but I don't see that a tachyon breaks Lorentz invariance. They may give problems with causality and other stuff but I don't think they break Lorentz invariance (if they do, in what way?) For example, if they travel faster than c in one frame, that will be the case in all frames. Maybe I am missing something obvious. I have never worked much with theories with tachyons but I thougth they were always written in a Lorentz inavraint form.

You can have as many tachyons in your theory as you like. It's only when you allow them to couple to ordinary matter that all hell breaks loose in your theory. But sterile tachyons are fine.

1. What is a spin-0 particle?

A spin-0 particle is a type of fundamental particle that has no spin, meaning it does not have an intrinsic angular momentum. This type of particle is often referred to as a scalar particle and can have either positive or negative charge.

2. What is a tachyon?

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that travels faster than the speed of light. It is often associated with theories of time travel and has not been observed or proven to exist in the physical world.

3. How are spin-0 particles and tachyons related?

There is no direct relationship between spin-0 particles and tachyons as they are two separate concepts in particle physics. However, some theoretical models suggest that tachyons could be spin-0 particles, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4. Can spin-0 particles and tachyons be detected?

Spin-0 particles can be detected through various methods, such as particle accelerators and particle detectors. However, since tachyons are hypothetical particles and have not been observed or proven to exist, they cannot be detected at this time.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering tachyons?

The discovery of tachyons would have significant implications for our understanding of physics and the universe. It could potentially challenge the principles of causality and the theory of relativity, and could also open the door to new technologies and advancements in space travel.