Suggest with reasons, to which group of the Periodic Table element X b

In summary, the compound XCln has covalent bonding due to its low melting point. Based on the formation of AgCl, it can be predicted that element X belongs to group 5 or 6 of the periodic table. To calculate the value of n and identify X, the molar masses for different values of n need to be determined. After heating, some Cl is liberated and the remaining mass of Cl can be used to calculate the possible atomic weight of X for different values of n.
Kushal

Homework Statement

Element X forms a chloride, XCln which melts at 3[tex]\circ[/tex]C. When 0.500 g of the chloride reacts with an excess of acidified silver nitrate, 1.19g of AgCl are formed.

Another 0.500g sample of the chloride is heated strongly and chlorine gas is given off. When the residue is treated with an excess of acidified silver nitrate, only 0.714g of AgCl is precipitated.

(1) Predict the type of bonding in XCln.
(2) Suggest with reasons, to which group of the Periodic Table element X belongs.
(3) Calculate the value of n and attempt to identify X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) It is covalent because of the low melting point.

(2) I would say group 5 or 6 because the chlorides exhibits several valencies. (but i don't know which one to choose) and the question asks for reasonS<---

(3) I am completely lost and confused. I calculated the number of mol of AgCl formed in both cases knowing that the difference between these values should give me something important. but i don't know what.

and i think X is phosphorous because PCl5 decomposes into PCl3 on heating. but the question does not ask for this kind of reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is XCl3, and if 0.500 g contains the same amount of chlorine as 1.19 g of AgCl, what is molar mass of X?

Kushal said:
...and i think X is phosphorous because PCl5 decomposes into PCl3 on heating. but the question does not ask for this kind of reasoning.

MP (with sublimation) for PCl5 is 100oC.

Use the total #moles of Cl to determine the atomic weight of X possible for n=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.
You will note that n=1 is unlikely since upon heating, some Cl remains behind. Two Cl-'s have changed from chloride to Clo (an oxidation) The X must have been reduced by an equal amount.

After heating you have some Cl left. Use the total #moles of Cl that remain after heating to determine the atomic weight of X possible for the new "n"=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...

Any overlap?

Sorry, no idea where have I read this 3 in XCln :frown:

But the idea remains the same, just - as chemisttree wrote - calculate molar masses for different values of n.

it is not phosphorous then...

i understood what you meant, i already found the possible Ar of X for XCln.

but i need the mass of the residue after heating (it is no longer 0.5g because some Cl has been liberated from it). how can i find that?

does (1.19 - 0.714) give you the mass of chlorine liberated?

thnks

Kushal said:
does (1.19 - 0.714) give you the mass of chlorine liberated?

Indirectly. These are masses of AgCl. But you are on the right track.

1. What is the atomic number of element X and where is it located on the Periodic Table?

Element X has an atomic number of Z and is located in group B on the Periodic Table.

2. What are the physical properties of element X?

The physical properties of element X include [insert properties] which make it suitable for placement in group B of the Periodic Table. These properties include [insert reasons].

3. Why is element X placed in group B and not in any other group?

Element X is placed in group B because of its [insert properties] which are similar to other elements in this group. This placement is based on the periodicity of its atomic structure and chemical properties.

4. How does element X react with other elements in its group?

Element X has a similar electron configuration to other elements in its group, allowing it to form similar chemical bonds and reactions. It also shares similar chemical properties with other elements in group B, leading to its placement in this group.

5. What are the potential uses of element X based on its placement in group B?

Element X has various potential uses due to its placement in group B, such as [insert uses]. Its chemical properties make it suitable for these applications and it can also form useful compounds with other elements in its group.