Can you ferment Mountain Dew and is it safe to drink?

• Thread starter jb
  • Start date
In summary, the process of fermenting mountain dew by letting it sit in a warm room for a few days and then cooling it may work, but it is not guaranteed. It is also not recommended as it can lead to the growth of harmful bacteria. It is important to know what you are doing before attempting to ferment any type of drink. Additionally, the idea that mountain dew can ferment without adding yeast or other ingredients does not make much sense. It is not advisable for high school students to attempt this process.
jb
Today my physics teacher was telling the class how to ferment mountain dew by letting it sit in a warm room for 3 or so days, then cooling it.

does this really work? and if so, why? also, does this become alcoholic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think you'd need to add yeast, but then maybe -- depends how nasty all the other stuff in the Dew (acid, preservatives, etc) is on the yeast. Fermentation is just yeast taking sugar->alcohol+CO2; any type of sugary drink (ie fruit juice) can be fermented if you add a little yeast.

It's dangerous to drink home-fermented stuff unless you know what you're doing, 'cause you can culture all sorts of nasty bacteria that'll make you sick. But it's not too hard, and making home-brewed beer is a somewhat common hobby...

the guy said it would ferment in a sealed can, so that would mean you wouldn't be adding in any yeast (and hopefully no bacteria would be in there!). i think he mentioned that the sugars break down after a while.

i'm surprised more high school kids don't do this. "honest, officer, I'm drinking mountain dew! there's no beer at this party!"

Today my physics teacher was telling the class how to ferment mountain dew by letting it sit in a warm room for 3 or so days, then cooling it.
the guy said it would ferment in a sealed can
It's a good thing that your physics teacher isn't teaching chem or biology.

Think about it. Does that make any sense at all? The stuff comes out of the bottling plant (cannery??) UNrefrigerated, sits in a warehouse for a while UNrefrigerated, sits in a truck UNrefrigerated, sits on the supermarket shelf UNrefrigerated.

And yet, it will magically begin to ferment in your warm room after 3 or so days?

Maybe you need to open the can first? Actually, lots of things can ferment sugar water besides yeast...most of them give off toxic byproducts, which is why you don't see people drinking things with mold on it, generally.

What is fermentation?

Fermentation is a metabolic process in which microorganisms, such as yeast or bacteria, convert sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide. This process is commonly used to produce alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine, and cider.

What is the role of yeast in fermenting drinks?

Yeast is a type of fungi that is responsible for the fermentation process. It feeds on sugars and produces alcohol and carbon dioxide as byproducts. Different strains of yeast are used for different types of drinks, resulting in varying flavors and alcohol levels.

What are the key ingredients needed for fermenting drinks?

The main ingredients needed for fermenting drinks are sugar, water, and yeast. In addition, fruits, grains, or other sources of fermentable sugar can be added for flavor and complexity. Some recipes may also call for additives such as hops, herbs, or spices.

How do you control the fermentation process?

The fermentation process can be controlled by monitoring and adjusting factors such as temperature, pH levels, and oxygen levels. Different types of yeast and bacteria thrive in different conditions, so it is important to closely follow a recipe and make any necessary adjustments to achieve the desired results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when fermenting drinks?

Some common mistakes to avoid when fermenting drinks include using contaminated equipment or ingredients, not properly sanitizing equipment, and not following proper temperature or timing guidelines. It is also important to carefully measure and monitor ingredients to ensure the correct balance of sugars and yeast for successful fermentation.