I want to Ionize Hydrogen in a Balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydrogen and a 20KV source to ionize the gas inside latex balloons. It is mentioned that this method is not effective due to the high pressure of the gas and low electric field strength. The dangers of playing with high voltages and hydrogen are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the topic is already known and further discussion is not necessary.
Jedi_Sawyer
Right now I blow up latex balloons with hydrogen. I am using the 20KV from a TV anode. I don't seem to be able to just stick the bare wire end of this HV source to ionize the Hydrogen. Covering the outside of the balloon with tin foil and putting the 20KV on that did next to nothing.

Any ideas how I can ionize the hydrogen inside the balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
You like to play dangerous games, don't you !

The answer why it doesn't work is that the pressure of the hydrogen is too high, and the electric field too low: you have 20 KV over several cm at 1 bar, this is simply not strong enough.

But I would urge you to stop doing what you do: if ever you have a leak, and you have a spark because of the HV, then you will have a rather powerful hydrogen explosion.

No I am just using just a little hydrogen in about 10" Balloons, even if ignited it would just flash about like a fire cracker, but even a 20KV arc that popped the balloon didn't catch it on fire.

So nobody knows

So nobody knows how to do this, well I have some ideas

Jedi_Sawyer said:
So nobody knows how to do this, well I have some ideas

Since you already know, then this thread is moot.

Zz.

1. How do you ionize hydrogen in a balloon?

Ionizing hydrogen in a balloon involves filling the balloon with pure hydrogen gas and then subjecting it to a high voltage electrical current. This causes the hydrogen atoms to lose an electron, creating positively charged ions.

2. Why would someone want to ionize hydrogen in a balloon?

Ionized hydrogen in a balloon has many applications, including in scientific experiments and as a source of energy for propulsion systems. It can also be used to create glowing effects in art installations and special effects.

3. Is it safe to ionize hydrogen in a balloon?

As with any form of electricity, there are potential risks involved in ionizing hydrogen in a balloon. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use appropriate equipment when working with high voltage electricity.

4. Can any type of balloon be used to ionize hydrogen?

For safety reasons, it is important to use a high-quality, sturdy balloon made specifically for this purpose. Regular latex balloons or cheap party balloons may not withstand the pressure and could potentially burst.

5. How long does it take to ionize hydrogen in a balloon?

The time it takes to ionize hydrogen in a balloon can vary depending on the equipment and conditions being used. It could take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes for the hydrogen gas to reach the desired level of ionization.