What Battery and Capacitor Are Best for a DIY Spark Plug Ignition Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about building a basic circuit to get a spark plug to fire. The participants have a plug and an ignition coil that outputs 20 kV and is designed for a car. They are wondering what kind of battery to use for testing and if a smaller battery can work. They also discuss using a capacitor to absorb back emf and mention a high voltage capacitor of 10-100 microfarads. One person has previously tried to calculate the value of the capacitor and mentions getting the best sparks by using a screwdriver on a threaded rod.
nukengr10
My friend and I are trying to build a very basic to get a spark plug to fire. Right now we have a plug, and Ignition coil that outputs 20 kV. The Ignition coil says on it 12 V and was bought at an auto parts store so I am assuming its an ignition coil for a car. What kind of battery should we test it with? Do we need as much power as a car battery or can we live with a much smaller size? Also i heard about using a capacitor to absorb the back emf in the primary coil that will run across the switch normally. i was thinking maybe a high voltage capacitor of like 10-100 microfarads?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've done this circuit a couple of times. The first time I did it I tried to theoretically calculate the value of the capacitor. It was a pretty interesting problem in a lot of ways. I can tell you my calculated answer was around 0.010 microfarads, but I won't bore you with the details. The voltage won't be more than about 400V because the ignition coil has a turns ration of around 100:1.

There's a lot of physics in the circuit, but the most fun is making sparks. I got the best fireworks by dragging a screwdriver across a long piece of threaded rod.

Marty

Hello! It sounds like you and your friend are working on an interesting project. The spark plug ignition circuit is an important component in the functioning of a car engine, and it's great that you are trying to understand and build a basic version of it.

Firstly, it's important to note that the 12 V on the ignition coil indicates the input voltage required for it to function properly. This means that you will need a 12 V battery to power the ignition coil. While a car battery may work, it is not necessary to use one. You can use a smaller 12 V battery, such as a motorcycle battery, as long as it can provide enough current to power the ignition coil.

As for using a capacitor to absorb the back emf in the primary coil, this can help protect the switch and other components from damage. A high voltage capacitor of 10-100 microfarads should be sufficient for this purpose. However, it's important to note that the exact size and type of capacitor needed may vary depending on the specific design and components of your circuit.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider the components and their specifications when building a spark plug ignition circuit. It's also a good idea to consult with a knowledgeable person or reference materials to ensure proper functioning and safety. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a spark plug ignition circuit?

A spark plug ignition circuit is a component of an internal combustion engine that is responsible for igniting the fuel-air mixture in the engine's cylinders. It consists of a spark plug, ignition coil, and a high voltage power source.

2. How does a spark plug ignition circuit work?

When the engine is running, the ignition coil generates a high voltage electrical pulse that is sent to the spark plug. The spark plug then creates an electric spark that ignites the fuel-air mixture in the cylinder, causing combustion and powering the engine.

3. What are the signs of a faulty spark plug ignition circuit?

Common signs of a faulty spark plug ignition circuit include difficulty starting the engine, misfiring or stalling, and decreased engine performance. Additionally, if the spark plugs appear worn or damaged, it may indicate a problem with the ignition circuit.

4. How often should a spark plug ignition circuit be replaced?

The lifespan of a spark plug ignition circuit can vary depending on the type of vehicle and driving habits. Generally, it is recommended to replace the spark plugs every 30,000 to 50,000 miles, or every 3-5 years. However, it is always best to consult the vehicle's manual for specific recommendations.

5. Can a DIY enthusiast replace a spark plug ignition circuit?

While it is possible for a DIY enthusiast to replace a spark plug ignition circuit, it is not recommended unless the individual has experience and knowledge in automotive mechanics. Improper installation can cause damage to the engine and potentially be dangerous. It is best to consult a professional mechanic for this type of repair.