Monochromatic Light Frequency in Glass (5.20 x 10^2 nm, n=1.50)

• Thread starter _Ankoku_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses using the formula for wavelength and frequency to determine the frequency of monochromatic light entering glass with a refractive index of 1.50. The conversation also questions whether the frequency inside the glass can be different from outside and discusses the concept of frequency as the number of waves passing per second.
_Ankoku_

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of a wavelength of 5.20 x 10^2 nm enters glass (n=1.50). What is the frequency of light in the glass?

Homework Equations

I am thinking I am supposed to use the formula : wave length = d(sin ( ) )/n
and then v=Frequency(wave length)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where i got lost...

I attempted to use the formulas but got really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the formulas. What's the frequency outside of the glass? Can the frequency inside of the glass be different? Frequency counts the number of waves passing per second. If the number outside and inside are different, where are the extra waves going?? This may be more of an understanding question than a formula question.

Can someone please guide me in the right direction?

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand what is being asked. It appears that the question is asking for the frequency of the monochromatic light as it enters the glass with a refractive index of 1.50.

To find the frequency of the light, we need to use the formula v = c/λ, where v is the frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. However, since the question provides the wavelength in nanometers (nm), we need to convert it to meters (m) before plugging it into the formula.

Converting 5.20 x 10^2 nm to meters gives us 5.20 x 10^-7 m.

Next, we need to determine the speed of light in glass, which is given by the refractive index (n) of the glass. The formula for this is c = c0/n, where c0 is the speed of light in a vacuum (3.00 x 10^8 m/s).

Plugging in the values, we get c = (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) / 1.50 = 2.00 x 10^8 m/s.

Now, we can plug in the values for c and λ into the formula v = c/λ to find the frequency.

v = (2.00 x 10^8 m/s) / (5.20 x 10^-7 m) = 3.85 x 10^14 Hz

Therefore, the frequency of the monochromatic light in the glass is 3.85 x 10^14 Hz.

1. What is monochromatic light frequency in glass?

Monochromatic light frequency in glass refers to the specific frequency of light waves that are able to pass through glass without being absorbed or scattered. In this case, the frequency is 5.20 x 10^2 nm and the glass has a refractive index of 1.50.

2. How is monochromatic light frequency in glass calculated?

The calculation of monochromatic light frequency in glass involves using the formula v = c/n, where v is the frequency, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and n is the refractive index of the glass. By plugging in the values for this formula, the frequency can be determined.

3. What is the relationship between monochromatic light frequency and the refractive index of glass?

The refractive index of glass is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when passing through the material. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light. Therefore, the higher the refractive index, the lower the monochromatic light frequency will be.

4. How does monochromatic light frequency in glass affect the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its frequency. Monochromatic light frequency in glass is a specific frequency that is able to pass through the glass without being absorbed or scattered, so the color of the light will remain the same as it passes through the glass.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding monochromatic light frequency in glass?

Understanding monochromatic light frequency in glass is important in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the design of lenses, optical instruments, and fiber optics. It is also important in understanding how light behaves and is affected by different materials.