Understanding the prove of sequence's sum rule

• Thread starter garyljc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the theorem states that if a sequence {an} tends to a and {bn} tends to b, where a and b are constants, then the sum of the two sequences, {an + bn}, tends to a + b. The approach to proving this could involve using the definition of null sequences, but it is important to have a precise definition of "eventually" or "tends to" in order to use it in a proof. It is also important to use specific definitions when writing proofs.
garyljc
the theorem is as stated that
1. suppose a(n) tends to a and b(n) tends to b , where a and b are constants
prove that a(n) + b(n) tends to a+b

what approach should i use ?
i was thinking about the definition of null sequences

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of "tends to"?

what do you mean what's my definition ?
tends to = eventually ?

Which would lead to the question "what is the definition of 'eventually'". I doubt that it is the usual one. The sequence {1/n}, I would say, "tends to 0" but is NEVER equal to 0. Does it make sense to say it is "eventually" 0?

I also doubt you will ever see a definition in a book like that! What is the definition in your textbook- not some general idea of what it means. In proofs you use the specific words of definitions. Being precise is extremely important.

You are told that an "tends to a" (which, I hope, means the limit of the sequence {an} is a). What does that tell you? What inequality does that give you?

1. What is the sequence's sum rule?

The sequence's sum rule is a mathematical principle that states that the sum of a finite sequence of numbers is equal to the first term plus the last term, multiplied by the number of terms divided by 2. This can be represented as S = (a1 + an) * n/2, where S is the sum of the sequence, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

2. How is the sequence's sum rule derived?

The sequence's sum rule is derived from the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series. By rearranging the terms and using some algebra, the formula can be simplified to the sequence's sum rule. This can also be visually demonstrated by drawing a series of rectangles with equal height and width, and then calculating the total area.

3. What is the significance of the sequence's sum rule?

The sequence's sum rule is significant because it provides a quick and efficient way to calculate the sum of a sequence of numbers without having to add each individual term. This can be especially useful when dealing with large sequences or when time is limited.

4. Can the sequence's sum rule be applied to any type of sequence?

Yes, the sequence's sum rule can be applied to any finite sequence of numbers, regardless of the pattern or type of sequence. This includes arithmetic, geometric, and even random sequences.

5. Are there any limitations to the sequence's sum rule?

The sequence's sum rule is limited to finite sequences, meaning that it cannot be applied to an infinite sequence of numbers. Additionally, it can only be used for sequences with a constant difference between terms, such as arithmetic sequences. Other types of sequences may require different methods for calculating the sum.