Moment of Inertia and Torque

In summary: My math is terrible so I had to double check everything. In summary, the wheel has an initial angular velocity of 610 rev/min and a final angular velocity of 63.87905062 rev/min. The wheel has an inertia of 15.02840110 N·m.
maniacp08
A wheel free to rotate about its axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of +40 N·m is applied to the wheel for 24 s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of +610 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. (Include the sign in your answers.)

(a) Find the moment of inertia of the wheel.
kg·m2
(b) Find the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.
N·m

This whole topic of angular/moment of inertia and torque taking its toll on me. Please bear with me, the more I read in textbook the more confused I get.

Relevant Equations:
Inertia = sum of mi * ri^2
Inertia for continuous objects = integral of r^2 dm

I would use the equation for inertia for continuous objects correct? since the textbook used the other one when given points.
The problem doesn't give us any masses/radius -- How would I start this?

For part B:
relevant equations:
Torque = r x F
Tnet = I alpha

What should I use for the Moment of Inertia for the wheel? It doesn't state it,
some exercise from the book says consider a wheel of a bicycle to be a hoop I = MR^2

Im not sure if this is correct,
I did for translation equation
Fnet = Ma
Ext F + friction = Ma

For rotation
Tnet = I alpha
RF - Rf = 1/2 M R^2 (a/R)
= F-f = 1/2 Ma

I added the two equations
2F = 3/2 Ma
a = 4F/3M

From equation 1
F+f = Ma
f = F/3

Is this even remotely correct?

Please help, thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there,

For part a) I don't think you need any more information. In this question you wouldn't find the moment of inertia by summing or integrating.

A word of warning: You haven't been the given the angular velocity, so to start with I would change your rev/min to rad/sec.

See this site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

You need to use the rotational equivalent of v=v-0+a*t, along with Newtons second law rotational equivalent.

Hope this gets you going for the first part

It says it gave the wheel an angular velocity of +610 rev/min
to change this to rad/sec.
I got 63.87905062 approx 64 rad/sec.

63.87905062 rad/sec / 24s = 2.661627109 approx 2.7 rad/s^2 is the acceleration
Tnet = I alpha
so Tnet/alpha = I
40 Nm /2.661627109 rad/s^2 = 15.02840110 approx 15 is the Inertia?

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Could someone check if what I did for part A/B is correct?

Yes your answer is the same as the one I got. For part b I'd use the same equations except this time you know the moment of inertia and initial and final angular velocities but want to find the frictional torque. You can use the same equations since they say that the frictional torque is constant.

Sorry for the late reply.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that quantifies how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This value is also affected by the shape and distribution of an object's mass.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied.

4. How are moment of inertia and torque related?

Moment of inertia and torque are directly related, as torque is the rotational force that causes an object to rotate and is affected by the object's moment of inertia. The higher the moment of inertia, the more torque is needed to cause the object to rotate.

5. What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia and torque?

Moment of inertia and torque are important concepts in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. They are used in designing and analyzing machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment, such as bicycles, cars, and golf clubs.