Finding the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a wood block attached to a spring and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table. The equation 1/2kx^2 is mentioned but there is uncertainty about how to use it. The suggestion is to use an equation that relates non-conservative work to the change in energy.
besenji
This problem has been giving me some trouble, and I was wondering if anyone could help?

A 0.700 kg wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring (k = 200 N/m) as shown in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . This block-spring system, when compressed 4.7 cm and released, stretches out 2.5 cm beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table?

I just can't seem to find the correct equation.

I know that it involves 1/2kx^2. I am just not sure how to find the uk using that.

Any bit of help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi besenji,

besenji said:
This problem has been giving me some trouble, and I was wondering if anyone could help?

A 0.700 kg wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring (k = 200 N/m) as shown in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . This block-spring system, when compressed 4.7 cm and released, stretches out 2.5 cm beyond the equilibrium position before stopping and turning back.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table?

I just can't seem to find the correct equation.

I know that it involves 1/2kx^2. I am just not sure how to find the uk using that.

Any bit of help is greatly appreciated.

I would suggest using the equation that relates non-conservative work to the change in energy. What do you get?

I would first like to commend you for seeking help in solving this problem. It is important to recognize when we need assistance in understanding complex concepts or equations.

To find the coefficient of kinetic friction in this scenario, we can use the equation: μk = (kx^2)/(mg), where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, k is the spring constant, x is the distance the spring is compressed, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

In this problem, we know all the variables except for the coefficient of kinetic friction. We can substitute in the given values and solve for μk:

μk = (200 N/m * (4.7 cm / 100 cm)^2) / (0.700 kg * 9.8 m/s^2)

μk = 0.18

Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is 0.18.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the problem. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask for clarification. Keep up the good work in your scientific pursuits!

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a constant value that represents the level of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol "μk" and is typically measured in units of force divided by force (e.g. N/N or kg/m/s²).

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be done using the equation μk = Fk/Fn, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and Fn is the normal force. Alternatively, it can also be determined by using a friction coefficient table or conducting experiments to measure the frictional force and normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It can also vary depending on the speed of the moving object and the duration of the contact between the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion against resistance. This information is crucial in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports, as it can help us design and optimize systems, predict the behavior of moving objects, and improve performance.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction and the coefficient of static friction are both measures of the resistance between two surfaces, but they differ in that the former is associated with objects in motion, while the latter is associated with objects at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction because it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and set an object in motion than to keep it moving at a constant speed.