Exploring Particle Representations: A Comprehensive Introduction

In summary: Lax-Witten theorem.The notes at physics.indiana.edu are good. They go into a little more detail about how to calculate the representations and also include a treatment of the Lax-Witten theorem.
Alamino
Does anyone know of any and can comment a good introduction to representaions of elementary particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean group representaions? There's a Dover book by Hammermesh, "Group Theory and its Application to Physical Problems" that takes you through the calculation of the representations.

Another title is Howard Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics. Neither of these books are a quick read, but they are the best intros available.

Boy are those good notes! I've printed them off, and they're going into a binder for reference. He explains! Tells you why the group multiplication is less useful than conjugation. I've known about those for 50 years and never saw that before.

Yes, great notes! I gave a look at Georgi's book and it's very good too. I'll try to find the other in the library.

Thanks for the help.

Another book I forgot to mention is Frappat, Sciarrino, and Sorba's Dictionary on Lie Algebras and Superalgebras. The topics are enumerated largely through representations - one of the best books on Lie theory I have come across.

Back in the early 1980s I worked my way through an introductory book on the topic, Lichtenberg's Unitary Symmetry and Elementary Particles. Whether it is stil in print I wouldn't know.

That sounds like a good one. Here is another set of notes:

http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sg/p641.html

"Notes on gauge theory. Probably covered last semester, but may be useful for HW 1"

is the file that covers representation theory most explicitly. It has the clearest exposition of decomposing products of reps into sums using Young tableaux that I have seen anywhere,

1. What is a particle representation?

A particle representation is a way of describing and understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It involves using diagrams, symbols, and mathematical equations to represent the properties and interactions of particles.

2. Why is particle representation important in science?

Particle representations allow scientists to visualize and model complex systems of particles, such as atoms and molecules. This helps them understand the underlying principles and mechanisms that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

3. What are some common types of particle representations?

Some common types of particle representations include atomic models, phase diagrams, particle diagrams, and energy level diagrams. These representations may vary depending on the specific field of science or topic being studied.

4. How do scientists use particle representations in their research?

Scientists use particle representations to develop and test hypotheses, make predictions, and interpret experimental results. They also use them to communicate their findings and theories to others in the scientific community.

5. Are particle representations always accurate?

Particle representations are simplified models of complex systems, so they may not always be 100% accurate. However, they are useful tools for understanding and studying these systems, and can be refined and improved as new evidence and technologies emerge.