Question -Substiution ALWAYS imagining invisible brackets in your head?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of substitution in algebra and how parentheses are used in this technique. The speaker expresses their concern about not using parentheses when substituting expressions, but the other person reassures them that it is not always necessary and depends on the situation.
PhysicsHelp12
Im in 2nd year of math now...so I know algebra but

I was reading this from this website:

"Substitution
Every time we replace a part of an expression with a value or another expression, we are using the technique of Substitution. And, every time a substitution is performed, parentheses are used!"
http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~mcginnis/08Au%20M132N/Algebra%20Fundamentals.pdf

My question is...
when you substitute into an expression...eg.

e^x Sub in 2x+1 ...

Maybe a bad eg since I am typing it ...but if you were writing it on paper...

I wouldn't even think about it...id just write e^(2x+1) ...(No Brackets)

Or sub 2x for x in x+1 ...Id just write 2x+1

or sqrt(x^2+y^2) ...evaulated at x=1=y Id just go sqrt(1^2+1^2)

But do you ALWAYS imagine brackets in your head first...when youre doing these...

Because I am really worried that everyone else is doing this except me ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't write things the way you are writing. I would say "substitute x=2y+1 into exp(x)" otherwise you're bound to get confused.

I think I would only "imagine brackets" when necessary. So, if all you're doing is adding things then it doesn't matter, but if you were to evaluate, say, "substitute x=1-y into 1-x" then ignoring the brackets will get you into trouble.

1. What is "Question-Substitution"?

"Question-Substitution" is a technique used in scientific research to help clarify and simplify complex questions. It involves mentally inserting invisible brackets into a question to better understand its structure and identify any potential gaps or errors.

2. How does "Question-Substitution" help with imagining invisible brackets?

By imagining invisible brackets, we can better visualize the structure of a question and identify any missing or unnecessary components. This can help us ask more precise and comprehensive questions in our research.

3. Is "Question-Substitution" necessary for all scientific research?

No, "Question-Substitution" is not necessary for all scientific research. It is a helpful technique for organizing and clarifying complex questions, but it is not a required step in the scientific method.

4. Can "Question-Substitution" be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, "Question-Substitution" can be used in any field where precise questioning and critical thinking are important. It can be especially useful in fields such as philosophy, mathematics, and logic.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using "Question-Substitution"?

Some may argue that "Question-Substitution" adds an extra step and may not always be necessary for every question. Additionally, it may be difficult for some individuals to visualize and insert invisible brackets. However, many scientists find it to be a useful tool for improving the clarity and precision of their questions.