Proof by Induction: P(k) to P(k+1)

In summary, the conversation discusses an inequality involving (1 + x)^k and its expansion. It is determined that there are no restrictions on x, but it must be within 1 unit of 1. The final step is to show that (1 + x)^k is greater than or equal to 1 + kx + x.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

[tex](1+x)^{k}[/tex][tex]\geq[/tex]1+kx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to show for P(k+1)
(1+x)^(k+1)[tex]\geq[/tex]1+kx+x
(1+x)^k*(1+x)[tex]\geq[/tex]1+kx+x

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:
(1+x)^k*(1+x)[tex]\geq[/tex]1+kx+x

Use this:

[tex](1+x)^{k}[/tex][tex]\geq[/tex]1+kx

I don't really understand how I use that...

You want to use an inequality involving [tex](1 + x)^k[/tex] to derive an inequality involving [tex](1+x)^k (1+x)[/tex], which is a multiple of it.

An inequality still holds if you multiply both sides by a positive number. If you multiply both sides of an inequality by a negative number, then you have to flip the sign from [tex]\le[/tex] to [tex]\ge[/tex] or vice versa.

Ok, so:
(1+x)^k(1+x)>(1+kx)(1+x)
>(1+2kx+x)

Right idea, but there is an error in your expansion.

Does the question give any restrictions on x? Is what you wrote still true of 1 + x < 0?

No restrictions.
1+kx+x+kx^2

When k = 3 and x = -4,

[tex](1 + x)^k = (-3)^3 = -27 < -11 = 1 - 12 = 1 + kx[/tex]

which makes the statement false.

So, we have to assume 1+x>0

so, x>-1

kathrynag said:
So, we have to assume 1+x>0
I believe x has to be strictly within 1 unit of 1; i.e., |1 + x| < 1, which means that 0 < x < 2.

kathrynag said:
No restrictions.
1+kx+x+kx^2

Once I get here I'm unsure where to go

kathrynag said:
Once I get here I'm unsure where to go

Look at your first post; you need to show that that is [tex]\ge 1 + kx + x[/tex].

1. What is "Proof by Induction"?

"Proof by Induction" is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement or proposition is true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for a starting value, often denoted as P(1), and then proving that if the statement is true for any value k, it must also be true for k+1. This process is repeated until it can be shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

2. Why is "Proof by Induction" used?

"Proof by Induction" is a useful technique because it allows us to prove that a statement is true for infinitely many values without having to check each individual case. It also provides a clear and systematic way to approach proofs involving natural numbers.

3. What is the inductive hypothesis in "Proof by Induction"?

The inductive hypothesis in "Proof by Induction" is the assumption that the statement is true for some arbitrary value k. This assumption is used in the proof to show that the statement is also true for the next value, k+1. The inductive hypothesis is crucial in the reasoning behind "Proof by Induction".

4. What is the base case in "Proof by Induction"?

The base case in "Proof by Induction" is the starting value for which we show that the statement is true. This is often denoted as P(1) and serves as the foundation for the rest of the proof. It is important to choose a base case that is simple and easy to prove in order to ensure the validity of the overall proof.

5. Can "Proof by Induction" be used for other types of numbers besides natural numbers?

No, "Proof by Induction" is specific to natural numbers. It relies on the fact that natural numbers have a well-defined starting point (1) and that there is always a next natural number (k+1). This technique cannot be applied to other types of numbers that do not have these properties, such as real numbers or negative integers.