How to find the max,min,sup,inf of these cases

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum and minimum values of a given function and provides hints for solving these problems. The conversation also discusses the difference between maximum and supremum, and how to use the fact that Vf=Df-1 to find values for x and y. The final conclusion is that the minimum and infimum of the function are not zero, as sin(x)/x can be negative.
transgalactic
i made a limit on both infinity and minus infinity for them

and i tried to find but its not working

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5458/23597303em5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I haven't reviewed all of your work, but I can give you a hint for finding what value x, f(x) = 1/(1+(lnx)^2) has a max at. Assuming you restrict the value of ln(x) to real values, (ln(x))^2 is always greater than zero, therefore your denominator must be greater than or equal to one. If this is true, what must the denominator equal in order to maximize f(x) and what value must x be for this to be true.

Alright, since no one else is replying, I'll give hints for the rest of them.

1) I already gave you an idea of how to find the max and sup of the function. Now, assuming ln(x) is restricted to real values only, we consider the domain 0 < x < infinity.
Evaluate what happens as x tends to infinity and you find the function asymptotically approaches 0. What about when x approaches zero? What does that suggest about the min. and inf?

2) Based on what you've showed with limits, it should be fairly simple to deduce something about the max. min. sup and inf.

3) As sin(x) is less than or equal to one for all values x, the greatest value the function could possibly assume is 1 (for the values it is defined); however, the smallest positive value x for which sin(x) is one is pi/2. Let's now consider the degenerate case when x = 0. Finding the limit of the function at that point yields 1. What does that suggest about the sup of the function?

regarding 3:

when the highest value is 1
is it max or sup
?

Do you understand the difference between "max" and "sup"? If a set of numbers has a maximum, then max= sup.

1) max=sup=1
inf=0, min doesn't exist
How did I find it?

Use the fact that Vf=Df-1

Vf is the set of values, that y can have.

Df-1 is the values, that x, from the inverse function of f(x) can have.

2) Vf = [-∞, -2] U [2, +∞)

3)sup=1, min=inf=0, there isn't maximum.

Regards.

Actually, regarding 3. The minimum and infimum of the function are definitely not zero as sin(x)/x can be negative.

1. How do I find the maximum value in a set of data?

To find the maximum value in a set of data, you can either arrange the data in ascending order and select the last value, or use a statistical software or calculator to find the maximum value. Alternatively, you can also manually compare each value in the set to determine the maximum value.

2. What is the difference between maximum and minimum values?

The maximum value is the largest value in a set of data, while the minimum value is the smallest value. In other words, the maximum value is the upper limit and the minimum value is the lower limit of a data set.

3. How do I find the supremum of a set of real numbers?

The supremum, or least upper bound, of a set of real numbers is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. To find the supremum, you can arrange the numbers in ascending order and select the last number in the set.

4. What is the infimum of a set of real numbers?

The infimum, or greatest lower bound, of a set of real numbers is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set. To find the infimum, you can arrange the numbers in ascending order and select the first number in the set.

5. Can I find the max/min/sup/inf of a non-numerical data set?

No, the concepts of maximum, minimum, supremum, and infimum only apply to numerical data sets. Non-numerical data cannot be arranged in ascending or descending order for comparison. However, you may be able to find the maximum or minimum value of a non-numerical data set based on a specific criterion or attribute.