Printing A Circuit Board Design

In summary: UV light might be too intense for the printer's toner.Please be careful with the etchant chemicals! From that first website again:(Caution: The concentrated acid's fumes would be very bad to breathe, or to have around metallic items. And the acid would be very bad to get onto anything that's not plastic.)With the common UV exposure board stock 0.4 mm will be no problem.
Lancelot59
Hey guys, I'm trying to make a circuit board for my school project and need to print the pattern. The thing that makes this slightly trickier is that some of the traces are 0.4mm apart. Now either way I need to print over twice, and that's not an issue, I can double layer it easily.

I'm just wondering, what gives more accuracy on a transparency? A laser printer, or an inkjet printer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to make a circuit board for my school project and need to print the pattern. The thing that makes this slightly trickier is that some of the traces are 0.4mm apart. Now either way I need to print over twice, and that's not an issue, I can double layer it easily.

I'm just wondering, what gives more accuracy on a transparency? A laser printer, or an inkjet printer?

Do you mean you are just printing the layout layers on paper? Or are you trying to print on FR4 board?

To make a PCB, you need to chemically etch away the unwanted copper, leaving the desired copper pattern behind. Are you planning on etching the board? I don't think you will be able to etch the board on your own at that kind of resolution. That takes very tight process control, and isn't something you will be able to do in your chem lab without a lot of practice, IMO.

berkeman said:
To make a PCB, you need to chemically etch away the unwanted copper, leaving the desired copper pattern behind. Are you planning on etching the board? I don't think you will be able to etch the board on your own at that kind of resolution. That takes very tight process control, and isn't something you will be able to do in your chem lab without a lot of practice, IMO.

Also you can make a PCB by drilling and some schools do have drills.

misgfool said:
Also you can make a PCB by drilling and some schools do have drills.

Yeah, we used an LPKF milling machine here in our lab for several years -- pretty handy:

http://www.lpkfusa.com/protomat/index.htm

There are definitely some tricks to making milled boards too, though. You can do relatively fine pitch, but you have to tune up your pad shapes for soldering -- too easy to get solder bridge shorts otherwise.

Lancelot59 said:

Google is your friend. Yes the laser is more accurate and laser toner works better than ink. With the common UV exposure board stock 0.4 mm will be no problem.
http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm
http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects/pcb.htm

mheslep said:
Google is your friend. Yes the laser is more accurate and laser toner works better than ink. With the common UV exposure board stock 0.4 mm will be no problem.
http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm
http://www.turbokeu.com/myprojects/pcb.htm

Hmm. That first link is pretty good (I didn't make it to the 2nd one). From that link:

[FAQ about using INKJET printers: I've been getting a lot of email, asking me if an INKJET printer can be used to print the patterns, for this PCB-making process. The answer is: NO! The toner in laser printers and most copiers is made mostly of PLASTIC, which resists the acid that eats away the copper that doesn't have any toner on it. Inkjet printers use INK, not toner. And their ink is typically NOT a good etch-resistor, at all.]

I must have been a pretty big klutz when I tried making my own PCBs, because I had a lot of trouble getting uniform etching across the PCB. Especially because I had some areas with just sparse traces, and other areas with ground pours.

Please be careful with the etchant chemicals! From that first website again:

(Caution: The concentrated acid's fumes would be very bad to breathe, or to have around metallic items. And the acid would be very bad to get onto anything that's not plastic.)

mheslep said:
With the common UV exposure board stock 0.4 mm will be no problem.

Today I printed the pattern using my schools laser printer (This is a high school, so no fancy PCB milling machine). The result turned out pretty decent. However between some of the tighter traces there was a bit of toner that almost seemed to overlap. Creating this sort of faint checkerboard between the traces.

My exposure setup at school is just a big tanning bulb, above the main tray, where the board goes under the pattern which all gets compressed down by a heavy piece of glass.

Lancelot59 said:
Today I printed the pattern using my schools laser printer (This is a high school, so no fancy PCB milling machine). The result turned out pretty decent. However between some of the tighter traces there was a bit of toner that almost seemed to overlap. Creating this sort of faint checkerboard between the traces.

My exposure setup at school is just a big tanning bulb, above the main tray, where the board goes under the pattern which all gets compressed down by a heavy piece of glass.
Sounds like you might want to try tweaking the printer driver configuration. Make sure its on the highest possible resolution, no 'quick print' defaults.

Well, you could always print a positive pattern that is double sized then have it reduced 50% on film (negative) at a graphics shop. This should clean up the ragged edges.

Last edited:
I have done single sided PC boards with a laser engraver. Black spray paint resists the etchant quite well. Just burn the paint off in the areas you want to etch.

1. What is the process of printing a circuit board design?

The process of printing a circuit board design is typically done using a specialized machine called a printer or plotter that is capable of creating high-resolution designs onto a flat surface. The design is first created using software such as CAD or PCB design software, and then the printer uses this digital design to print the circuit onto a board made of materials such as fiberglass or epoxy resin.

2. What materials are needed for printing a circuit board design?

The materials needed for printing a circuit board design include a specialized printer or plotter, a computer with design software, a circuit board material (such as fiberglass or epoxy resin), and various chemicals and materials for etching and soldering the printed design onto the board.

3. Is printing a circuit board design a complicated process?

The process of printing a circuit board design can be complicated, as it requires knowledge of design software, electronics, and specialized equipment. However, with proper training and experience, it can be a manageable and efficient process.

4. What are the advantages of printing a circuit board design?

Printing a circuit board design offers several advantages over traditional methods of creating circuit boards. These include faster production time, higher precision and accuracy, and the ability to create more complex designs. It also allows for easier modifications and updates to the design, and reduces the need for manual labor and human error.

5. Are there any limitations to printing a circuit board design?

While printing a circuit board design offers many advantages, there are also some limitations. The size of the board is limited by the size of the printer, and the process may not be cost-effective for small-scale production. Additionally, certain materials and designs may not be suitable for printing and may require traditional methods of production.