Fishery/Harvest Model: Dimensionless Form and Solution Attempt

• Thread starter fk378
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the biological system can be rewritten in dimensionless form as dx/dq= x(1-x) - hx/(a+x).
fk378

Homework Statement

dN/dt= rN(1-N/K) - HN/(A+N)

where H and A >0

Show that the biological system can be rewritten in dimensionless form as

dx/dq= x(1-x) - hx/(a+x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this...any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably N represents the number of fish at time t. What do r, K, H, and A represent?

For your second diff. eqn. what are x, q, h, and a? I don't think there's any way that we can help you if we don't know the connection between the first set of variables and those in the second DE.

Also, in the first DE, is it HN/A + N or is it HN/(A + N)? These are different.
In the second DE, is in hx/a + x or is it hx/(a + x)?

Sorry, just fixed it.

H is the rate of harvest
A is the rate of reproduction?
r is 1/Time?

How do I figure out what they represent?

H might be a rate (the fraction of fish harvested--i.e., caught, a percentage), but I'm guessing that A is the number of new fish, and is not a rate. It wouldn't make any sense to add a rate to a number.

What about x, q, h, and a?

Surely the problem explains what these symbols represent.

The only other information I have is that K is the carrying capacity.

x,q,h,a ...I think I am supposed to figure that out on my own. There is no information given in the problem. We are supposed to do some substitutions, like x=something and with that, get to the second DE. That is where I'm lost though.

Since you are asked to put this in "dimensionless form" it would be a good idea to list the dimensions of the various terms! Cerrtainly you cannot do this problem without knowing what "H", "A", "r", and "k" mean!

What is a fishery/harvest model?

A fishery/harvest model is a tool used by scientists to estimate the health and sustainability of a fish population. It takes into account various factors such as population growth, natural mortality, and fishing pressure to predict future population sizes and inform management decisions.

Why is a fishery/harvest model important?

A fishery/harvest model is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of fish populations and how they are affected by human activities such as fishing. It also allows us to make informed decisions about sustainable fishing practices and conservation efforts.

How do scientists collect data for a fishery/harvest model?

Scientists collect data for a fishery/harvest model through various methods, including fishery surveys, tagging studies, and genetic analyses. These data are then used to create models that can accurately predict population dynamics and inform management decisions.

What are the limitations of a fishery/harvest model?

Like any scientific model, a fishery/harvest model has limitations. It relies on the accuracy and completeness of the data used, and it may not always account for external factors such as environmental changes. Additionally, models are constantly evolving and may need to be updated as more information becomes available.

How do fishery/harvest models help with sustainable fishing?

Fishery/harvest models play a crucial role in sustainable fishing by providing information on the health and size of fish populations. This information is used to set catch limits and inform management strategies that aim to maintain the population at a sustainable level. Without these models, overfishing and depletion of fish populations would be much more difficult to prevent.