What is the work done in moving a particle around a closed curve?

In summary, we are trying to find the work done in moving a particle around a closed curve in the field F = (y+z)i - (x+z)j + (x+y)k. Using two different methods, we get different answers and are unsure where we went wrong. One method assumes dx = dy = 0, resulting in an integral of 2π, but when reverse action is taken, the work is 0. The other method expands everything in full and integrates, resulting in an answer of 4π, but when reverse action is taken, the work is also 0. It is suggested that the error may lie in the integration by parts for t cos t. Overall, the final answer is 2
bigevil

Homework Statement

For the field [tex]\bold{F} = (y+z) \bold{i} - (x+z) \bold{j} + (x+y) \bold{k}[/tex] find the work done in moving a particle around the following closed curve:

from the origin to (0,0,2π) on the curve x=1-cos t, y=sin t, z=t; and back to the origin along the z-axis. The answer is 2π. (This question is from Mary L Boas' textbook btw, which is why I have the answer.)

Homework Equations

We get:
dx = sin t dt
dy = cos t dt
dz = dt

x = 1 - cos t
y = sin t
z = t

I did this two ways and didn't get either right. Could someone point out what was wrong with both methods and give me a hint?

First method: I assumed that dx = dy = 0. This gives [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} (1-cos t + sin t) dt = 2\pi[/tex]. But going by this method, going back to origin means that the integral for the reverse action is -2π, so the work is 0. This method is probably wrong because, obviously, x=1 - cos t is not a "static" function.

Second method: Expand everything in full, which means

[tex]W = \int F . dr = \int (sin t + t)(sin t) dt - (1 - cos t + t)(cos t) dt + (1 - cos t + sin t) dt = \int_0^{2\pi} 2 + sin t - 2 cos t dt = 4\pi[/tex], which is also wrong. For the reverse action, the limits are flipped and I get 0 again.

I think this is the right method, but there's something wrong with the integration here although its supposed to be pretty simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bigevil! :smile:
bigevil said:
dx = sin t dt
dy = cos t dt
dz = dt

[tex]W = \int F . dr = \int (sin t + t)(sin t) dt - (1 - cos t + t)(cos t) dt + (1 - cos t + sin t) dt = \int_0^{2\pi} 2 + sin t - 2 cos t dt[/tex]

what happened to tsint and tcost?

also, dr2 = … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi bigevil! :smile:what happened to tsint and tcost?

also, dr2 = … ? :smile:

Hi Tim, what do you mean dr^2? There shouldn't be a square in the line integral (F.dr) right?

I think I saw where I got it wrong... I did integration by parts for t cos t and got 0 (between 2π and 0)... then I removed the t cos t / t sin t from the expression. But the integration by parts for t sin t is 2π.

So, 4π - 2π = 2π, but I have another problem, that integral was just one direction. In the other direction the integral is -2π, so the ans. is 0!

bigevil said:
Hi Tim, what do you mean dr^2? There shouldn't be a square in the line integral (F.dr) right?

You need to know what dr is in terms of t …

I only asked about dr squared because it's easier to calculate! :smile:
So, 4π - 2π = 2π, but I have another problem, that integral was just one direction. In the other direction the integral is -2π, so the ans. is 0!

What do you mean, "the other direction"? :confused:

That's the negative z-direction, and F.k = x + y.

What is a line integral?

A line integral, also known as a path integral, is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the area under a curve or the work done along a path. It involves integrating a function along a specific path defined by a parametric equation.

How is a line integral calculated?

To calculate a line integral, we first need to parameterize the path using a set of equations. Then, we substitute these equations into the given function and integrate over the given limits of the path. This results in a numerical value representing the area under the curve or the work done along the path.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A line integral is performed along a specific path, while a regular integral is performed over an interval on the x-axis. This means that a line integral takes into account the specific path of integration, while a regular integral does not.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D images and in economics to calculate consumer surplus.

Can line integrals be calculated in higher dimensions?

Yes, line integrals can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 3D or even n-dimensional space. In these cases, the path of integration is defined by multiple parametric equations, and the integral is calculated over a higher-dimensional region. This is useful in fields such as vector calculus and multivariable calculus.