Explore Physics with Simple Experiments: Discover Classical Laws

In summary, people are exploring classical physics concepts using simple experiments, and they are also investigating electromagnetism.
Bunny
I have recently become interested in physics, and I have been reading different material in magazines and online. I don't want to blindly believe everything I'm "told" without doing some kind of experiment myself to be certain, before I accept these laws and theories. Does anyone know of some experiments I can do (simple-intermediate) that don't require a lot of expensive equiptment? Even simple ones demonstrating classical laws would be appreciated :)

ps: please don't post about the double-slit experiment, something else thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero Down, And Zero Dollars A Month!

Here is one you can do on the cheap...

I'm sitting here at my computer in a room without the lights on. I have the blinds partly opened to the outside world, and it is daytime. I put the back of my hand against my nose and look through my fingers toward the window. If I almost choke off the distance between a pair of fingers, I can make out a faint pattern of dark lines running parallel to the edges of my fingers. I believe this tells us that light has a wave-like aspect. (That in no way eliminates the possibility that light also has a particle-like aspect, you understand.)

I bought myself a small cheap gyroscope which provided hours of entertainment - oh and maybe taught me some things about angular momentum. Likewise, you can pretty much test most of classical mechanics by bouncing balls around and such.

It's also quite cheap to do EM sort of things. It's amazing what you can do with a few batteries, a cheap multimeter, some wire, a few other bits and bobs and a lot of ingenuity!

Matt

Don't use experimentation as your primary learning tool. If you want to do experiments because they're fun, that's perfectly okay. If we are suggesting experiments to you, then clearly they have been done before and agree with the theory. If you'll only believe stuff you can experimentally verify, you will not get too far in one lifetime. The point of having such a thing as Science is that things you read can be believed, because they have been experimentally verified, and hence gained acceptance.

I'm not implying that experiments aren't a useful teaching tool. They help consolidate concepts. So, learn the concepts first and if something is unclear, then use an experiment or demos to convince yourself. Don't try to learn physics from a random list of experiments.

Here! Here! There has been a big movement towards inquiry-based physics, which to me is a colossal blunder. (My opinion, only)

thanx Janitor for the experiment
Matt- what is a gyroscope??

Last edited:

What is "Explore Physics with Simple Experiments: Discover Classical Laws"?

"Explore Physics with Simple Experiments: Discover Classical Laws" is a book that contains a collection of simple and fun experiments that help readers understand and explore the fundamental laws of classical physics. It is a great resource for students, educators, and anyone interested in physics.

What are classical laws of physics?

Classical laws of physics refer to the fundamental principles and theories that describe the behavior of matter and energy in everyday life. These laws include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the theory of gravity, among others.

Do I need any special equipment to perform the experiments in this book?

No, the experiments in this book can be performed using simple and easily accessible materials such as household items, toys, and basic laboratory equipment. The goal is to make the experiments accessible and fun for anyone interested in exploring physics.

Is this book suitable for all ages?

Yes, this book is suitable for all ages. The experiments are designed to be simple and easy to understand, making them suitable for children and adults alike. However, younger children may require adult supervision during the experiments.

Can I use this book for educational purposes?

Yes, this book is a great resource for educators and can be used for educational purposes. The experiments in the book can be incorporated into lesson plans and can help students better understand and visualize the concepts of classical physics.