Correct Interpretation of Simple Expression ?

In summary, the question is about the correct interpretation of the divisor in the algebraic expression (3p^2q)^3 ÷ 9pq^2. Some may interpret the entire 9pq^2 as the divisor, while others may see only 9 as the divisor. To avoid confusion, it is recommended to use parentheses when wanting the entire 9pq^2 as the divisor. The convention is to group terms separated by ÷ and then by *, so technically only 9 belongs in the denominator. However, the use of * in this example is implied and can lead to misinterpretation.
uart
Science Advisor
[tex] (3p^2 q)^3 \div 9 p q^2 [/tex]

The above is a simple algebra expression. The question concerns the correct interpretation of the divisor in the above example. Strictly speaking I would have thought that only “9” is the divisor here and if you wanted the whole “9pq^2” as the divisor then you should put it in parentheses. But it appears many people interpret the whole “9pq^2” as the divisor even without parentheses.

Strictly speaking, which is correct.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When I saw this, I understood the denominator as 9pq^2. If I wanted only 9 in the denominator, I would use brackets to avoid confusion.

Strictly speaking, I think the convention is to group terms that are separated by [tex] \div [/tex] and then group terms separatied by *. If this is correct, then only the 9 belongs in the denominator. However, in this example the use of * is elliptic (implied, 9*p*q*q) and hence causes more confusion, and gives more room for misinterpretation.

However, in mathematics, the concept of order of operations dictates that we first simplify the expression within the parentheses before dividing by the number outside of the parentheses. Therefore, both interpretations are correct and will result in the same answer. It is important to note that when simplifying expressions, it is best to use parentheses to avoid any confusion and ensure clarity in the final answer.

1. What is the definition of a simple expression?

A simple expression is a mathematical statement that consists of a single number or variable, or a combination of numbers and variables that can be evaluated to produce a single value.

2. How do I correctly interpret a simple expression?

To correctly interpret a simple expression, you must first determine the order of operations, also known as the hierarchy of operations, which includes parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and addition and subtraction. Then, you must evaluate the expression by following the order of operations.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when interpreting a simple expression?

One common mistake to avoid when interpreting a simple expression is not following the correct order of operations. Another mistake is to not properly identify variables and their corresponding values. It is also important to pay attention to signs, such as negative signs, when evaluating the expression.

4. Can a simple expression have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple expression can have more than one solution. This is especially true when the expression contains variables. Each variable can have a different value, resulting in different solutions to the expression.

5. How can I check if my interpretation of a simple expression is correct?

You can check if your interpretation of a simple expression is correct by using a calculator or by hand. Plug in the values of the variables and follow the order of operations to evaluate the expression. If you get the same result, then your interpretation is correct.