Vectors and medians of a triangle.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the medians of a triangle intersect at a point two thirds of the way from each vertex to the opposite sides. The approach involves using the equations of the midpoints of the sides and finding a fourth equation to determine the intersection point. The conversation then delves into finding the two-thirds point of AX using the same method.
wimma

Homework Statement

Prove that the medians of a triangle (the lines joining the vertices of a triangle to the midpoints of the opposite sides) intersect at a point two thirds of the way from each vertex to the opposite sides.

Homework Equations

If you let the triangle be ABC and the midpoint of AB be Z, the midpoint of BC be X and the midpoint of AC be Y, then:

x = c/2 +b/2
y = a/2 + c/2
z = a/2 + b/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the intersection of the medians be W (assuming that they intersect in one point)
Using the above 3 equations, I know that I just need a fourth equation so that I can find a relation between a and x, b and y, and c and z. Then I'd use the formula that if p divides AB in the ratio m:n then p=(na+mb)/(m+n). You'd get two different expressions (eg in terms of a and x in one expression and in terms of b and y in the other expression) which have equal m, n values for 2 different lines. Then you know that since W is the only point lying on both lines, that it must divide them both in the ratio m:n. Similarly do it for the third one and you would know that W is the intersection of all three under the above conditions. I just need to find a fourth equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wimma! :smile:
wimma said:
Prove that the medians of a triangle (the lines joining the vertices of a triangle to the midpoints of the opposite sides) intersect at a point two thirds of the way from each vertex to the opposite sides.

If you let the triangle be ABC and the midpoint of AB be Z, the midpoint of BC be X and the midpoint of AC be Y, then:

x = c/2 +b/2
y = a/2 + c/2
z = a/2 + b/2

Using the above 3 equations, I know that I just need a fourth equation …

ooh, so complicated! :cry:

Stay on the bandwagon :wink:

use your same method to find the two-thirds point of AX, and you get … ? :smile:

1. What is a vector in a triangle?

A vector in a triangle is a line segment that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from one point to another, and is used to show the movement or displacement between two points in the triangle.

2. How are vectors and medians related in a triangle?

A median of a triangle is a line segment that connects a vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. In a triangle, the three medians intersect at a single point called the centroid. The centroid is also the point where the three medians divide each other in a ratio of 2:1, creating smaller triangles with equal areas. Therefore, vectors and medians are related in that they both involve lines and points in a triangle.

3. How do you calculate the length of a vector in a triangle?

The length of a vector in a triangle can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. If the coordinates of the two points that the vector connects are (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), the length of the vector, represented as ||v||, can be found using the formula ||v|| = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2).

4. Can vectors and medians help determine the area of a triangle?

Yes, vectors and medians can be used to determine the area of a triangle. The area of a triangle can be calculated using the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height. The base of a triangle can be found using the length of a vector, and the height can be found using the distance from a vertex to the opposite side, which can be calculated using the midpoint formula.

5. How are vectors and medians used in real-world applications?

Vectors and medians have many practical applications, such as in navigation, physics, and computer graphics. In navigation, vectors are used to represent the direction and speed of movement, while medians can be used to find the center of mass of an object. In physics, vectors are used to represent forces and motion, and medians can be used to calculate the center of gravity of an object. In computer graphics, vectors and medians are used to create 3D models and animations by defining the position and movement of objects.