What marks do you need to become a High School Teacher?

In summary, the necessary undergraduate marks to become a high school teacher in Canada may vary depending on the university and program, but they are typically not as high as those required for science or arts programs. Experience and teaching skills may also be considered more heavily for job opportunities.
future_phd
Hey,

What undergrad marks do you usually need to get into whatever you need to do to become a High School Teacher?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not very high.

It might depend on what part of the world you're in.

jtbell said:
It might depend on what part of the world you're in.

I live in Canada (Ontario).

To get into an education program in a Canadian university, usually you don't need the most competative average. It's likely in the same ballpark as obtaining admission to a science or arts program. Some universities offer "after" degrees - a one or two year program that you can take after finishing a different degree.

To get a job, I don't know how heavily they weigh your marks. I think more weight is placed on experience and general teaching skill sets.

1. What type of degree is required to become a High School Teacher?

To become a High School Teacher, you typically need to earn a Bachelor's degree in Education or a specific subject area, such as English or History. Some states may also require you to obtain a Master's degree in Education.

2. Do I need to have a teaching license to become a High School Teacher?

Yes, in order to become a High School Teacher, you will need to obtain a teaching license from your state. Requirements for obtaining a teaching license vary by state, but typically include completing an accredited teacher education program and passing a certification exam.

3. What is the average GPA required to become a High School Teacher?

The average GPA required to become a High School Teacher varies by institution, but most schools look for a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher. However, having a higher GPA can make you a more competitive candidate for teacher education programs.

4. Are there any specific courses I need to take to become a High School Teacher?

Yes, in addition to completing a Bachelor's degree in Education or a specific subject area, you will also need to take courses in education theory, teaching methods, and classroom management. Some states may also require coursework in special education or English as a Second Language (ESL) education.

5. Are there any additional requirements to become a High School Teacher?

In addition to obtaining a teaching license and completing a Bachelor's degree in Education or a subject area, you may also need to pass a background check and undergo a student teaching experience. Some states may also require you to take a subject area exam in the subject you wish to teach.