Flow-Induced Vibration: High Flow/Velocity Resources

In summary, the conversation involves a search for good resources on high turbulent flow/velocity induced vibration in piping systems, specifically a high flow PSV off of a large vessel and its potential for dramatic pipe vibration. The desired resource should also cover reaction forces on elbows and piping exits in detail. The Carruci/Mueller and Eisinger methods for acoustic fatigue have been found so far, but no single resource that covers all the topics. Suggestions for finding a suitable resource include searching for research papers in relevant journals, looking for books with comprehensive coverage, and consulting with experts in the field for recommendations.
rppearso
Does anyone know of any really good resources on high turbulant flow/velocity induced vibration in piping systems (in particular this is a very high flow PSV off of a large vessel and they are concerned with dramatic pipe vibration when it relives) also it would be nice if the recommended resource included reaction forces on elbows and piping exits. I want to make sure if I have to buy something that it covers the topics of interest in detail before I spend money. So far I have found the Carruci/Mueller and the Eisinger method for acoustic fatiuge.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't seen any particular resources that cover all the topics you listed, but I can offer some advice for finding a good resource. First, look for research papers on the topic. Check out journals like the Journal of Fluids Engineering or the Journal of Sound and Vibration. You can also search online for relevant books. Try to find one with a comprehensive overview of the topics you mentioned, as well as information on reaction forces on elbows and piping exits. Finally, contact experts in the field and ask what materials they recommend. That way you can be sure to get a good resource before you spend any money.

I would recommend conducting a thorough literature search on the topic of flow-induced vibration in piping systems. This will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the existing research and resources available on this subject. Some potential resources to consider include academic journals, conference proceedings, and technical reports from reputable organizations.

In particular, I would suggest looking into publications from organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the American Petroleum Institute (API), as they often have guidelines and standards related to flow-induced vibration in piping systems. Additionally, textbooks on fluid mechanics and vibration analysis may also be helpful in understanding the underlying principles and theories behind flow-induced vibration.

It may also be beneficial to reach out to experts in this field, such as engineers or researchers who have experience with flow-induced vibration in piping systems. They may be able to provide valuable insights and recommendations for resources that have been particularly useful in their work.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly evaluate any resources you consider purchasing to ensure they cover the specific topics and details you are interested in. I would also recommend consulting with your team or colleagues to gather their input and suggestions on potential resources. With a comprehensive approach, you can ensure that the resources you choose will provide the necessary information for your specific project or application.

1. What is flow-induced vibration?

Flow-induced vibration is a phenomenon that occurs when a fluid (such as air or water) flows over or around a structure, causing it to vibrate. This can happen due to changes in flow direction, turbulence, or other factors.

2. How does high flow/velocity affect flow-induced vibration?

High flow/velocity can greatly increase the intensity of flow-induced vibration. This is because the higher the flow rate or velocity, the more force is exerted on the structure by the fluid, leading to stronger vibrations.

3. What types of structures are most susceptible to flow-induced vibration?

Structures that have a large surface area and are exposed to high flow rates or velocities are most susceptible to flow-induced vibration. This includes structures such as bridges, pipes, and offshore platforms.

4. What are the potential consequences of flow-induced vibration?

Flow-induced vibration can cause fatigue damage to structures, leading to cracks, fractures, and even structural failure. It can also result in increased noise levels and discomfort for individuals in the vicinity.

5. How can flow-induced vibration be mitigated?

Flow-induced vibration can be mitigated through various methods such as altering the shape or design of the structure, adding damping materials, or using flow control devices. It is important to carefully consider the potential effects of flow-induced vibration during the design and construction of structures.