Wall Street Journal on Entanglement

In summary, the article discusses how entanglement is now mainstream and has been used in encryption and philosophy. It also mentions Professor Eberley's discovery that quantum entanglement can suddenly die.
DrChinese
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, entanglement has gone mainstream (if it wasn't already) with an article in the 5/6/2009 Wall Street Journal on the subject:

Science, Spirituality, and Some Mismatched Socks : Researchers Turn Up Evidence of 'Spooky' Quantum Behavior and Put It to Work in Encryption and Philosophy

The article includes a quote from Nicolas Gisin, a reference to Einstein, and a not-so-accurate chart explaining how photons are entangled (leaving out the PDC crystal's role).

Meanwhile, I thought I would post a link for those who are interested in recent articles in on EPR, Bell and/or entanglement. The link below yields anything with those keywords submitted in 2009 to Cornell's preprint archives. There were 356 such articles as of this morning. :smile:

ArXiv Articles (Pre-print) with EPR, Bell or Entanglement in the Abstract or Title, 2009

This gives you a pretty good idea of the wide variety of work being done in this area. There were over a 1000 articles last year, so there is a lot out there! Please keep in mind that the preprints themselves are NOT peer-reviewed, although they are widely read - and occasionally commented on in the archives themselves.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought entanglement was weird.
Finding out people still read WSJ after Murdoch bought it is weirder though.

alxm said:
I thought entanglement was weird.
Finding out people still read WSJ after Murdoch bought it is weirder though.

:rofl:

Guess I am guilty. Please don't hold it against me. I read Dilbert too, and sometimes it seems like real life.

Dear Group, since I always try to speak honestly, I feel that I should mention that Professor Eberly's discovery of the sudden death of quantum entanglement could place an important restraint not just upon quantum computation but also upon Conway and Kochen's recent mathematical physics definition of free will as the opposite of both determinism and randomness.

Of course, this will depend upon how prevalent the sudden death of quantum entanglement is in Nature.

cstromeyer said:
Hi, you might also be interested to know that Professor Eberley recently discovered that quantum entanglement can suddenly die:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/01/quantumloss/

When the journal says this:

"The relationship persists independently of distance, making possible the near-instantaneous transmission of binary information."

It sounds like it's saying FTL communication of information is possible, but that shouldn't be the case, even in Entangled states.

Matterwave said:
When the journal says this:

"The relationship persists independently of distance, making possible the near-instantaneous transmission of binary information."

It sounds like it's saying FTL communication of information is possible, but that shouldn't be the case, even in Entangled states.

Of course, being a popular account, it manages to get a few things wrong in the process. But maybe it will increase interest or awareness a bit. Never hurts.

1. What is the Wall Street Journal's coverage of entanglement?

The Wall Street Journal has published several articles on the topic of entanglement, focusing on its role in quantum computing and its potential applications in various industries. They have also covered research breakthroughs and controversies surrounding entanglement.

2. Can you explain entanglement in simple terms?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that the particles are inextricably linked, even if they are physically separated.

3. How is entanglement being used in quantum computing?

Entanglement plays a crucial role in quantum computing, as it allows for the creation of quantum bits (qubits) that can hold and process information in multiple states simultaneously. This makes quantum computers much more powerful and efficient than traditional computers for certain types of calculations.

4. What are some potential applications of entanglement?

Entanglement has potential applications in various fields, including quantum communication, cryptography, and metrology. It could also greatly improve the efficiency of data storage and processing, leading to advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

5. What are some challenges and controversies surrounding entanglement?

One major challenge is maintaining entanglement over long distances, as external factors can easily disrupt it. There is also ongoing debate and research on the exact mechanisms and implications of entanglement, as it challenges our understanding of classical physics. Additionally, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of entanglement in fields such as cryptography and communication.