Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a classic game with two variations involving taking pearls from rows. The first version has a straightforward solution where the goal is to take the last pearl, while the second version requires calculating a winning position based on binary numbers. One player is struggling with the game and asks for advice from another player who suggests watching the expert player's moves and going first. The game is deemed fun by one of the players.
gravenewworld
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're only allowed to take pearls from one row per turn.

Anyways, this is a classic game with two variations. Both have a straightforward solution, I think, but I only remember the other version -- the one where you win if you take the last one.

Last edited:
Who are you talking to Hurkyl? :biggrin:

After playing a few rounds, you start to get the idea.

All right, I think I have worked out the way to calculate what a winning position is in this version.

Hurkyl said:
All right, I think I have worked out the way to calculate what a winning position is in this version.

What is it? My butt is kicked.

The hint is to look at the numbers in each row in binary... The game where you want to take the last one is more straightforward, this version has to tweak the condition when the game is very small.

man this game is fun :P

I just watch what he does, then make him go first and do that.

Course, this means my score cannot exceed 50%.

1. What is "Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?"

"Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?" is a popular comic strip created by Stephan Pastis. It follows the antics of a group of anthropomorphic animals, including a rat and a pig, as they navigate through everyday life and often find themselves in humorous situations.

2. Who is Juan in "Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?"

Juan is a fictional character in the comic strip "Pearls Before Swine." He is a skilled and confident mouse who often challenges the other characters to various competitions and games.

3. Why is there a focus on Juan in "Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?"

Juan serves as a recurring character in the comic strip, providing a source of conflict and humor for the other characters. His competitive nature and overconfidence often lead to amusing situations and interactions.

4. Are there any other characters in "Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?"

Yes, "Pearls Before Swine" features a diverse cast of characters, including a rat, a pig, a goat, a crocodile, and more. Each character has their own distinct personality and often interacts with Juan in different ways.

5. Can anyone actually beat Juan in "Pearls Before Swine: Who Can Beat Juan?"

Despite his skills and confidence, Juan is often defeated or outsmarted by the other characters in the comic strip. This adds to the humor and entertainment value of the strip as the characters continue to try and one-up each other.