Can Someone Explain Statics and Torque for an Applied Maths Exam?

In summary: Torque is "the forces you take into account when taking moments" roughly speaking. More accurately, given a force applyed at point a, to find torque "about point b", draw the line segment from a to b, then multiply the component of the force perpendicular to the segment by the length of the segment. Notice that the same force will give different torques about different points.
Mutant_Fruit
Hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about, but here it goes.

I'm doing my leaving cert applied maths paper in 2 days time, and I'm stuck on this question. I can't follow the solution available on the internet, so i need someone to go through it step by step. Its Q7 in the paper here: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2001/LC020ALP1EV.pdf

Basically i drew up my diagram, marked in all the correct forces, balanced them horizontally and vertically, then split the rods up, and worked out the forces on each rod seperately. (Should i have done that?).

Then i took moments on each rod, and tried solving between all my equations, but i couldn't get it to work out. The online solution is here: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2001/LC020ALP1EV.pdf

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What part of the solution don't you understand ?

Mutant_Fruit said:
...Basically i drew up my diagram, marked in all the correct forces, balanced them horizontally and vertically, then split the rods up, and worked out the forces on each rod seperately. (Should i have done that?).

Which part are you referring to - a or b ?

It is okay to cosider the rods separately so long as you include the forces and moments that hold the rods together rigidly (if they are rigid), though I don't see how this would help. If you have a rigid body, treat it as one object.

Personally, I felt that the solution online used a very strange point to compute the torques about.
I would use the corner defined by the two rods.

I got it figured. My problem was that i was splitting the rods. I shouldn't have done that.

I decided just to take the basics of what the solution was telling me, which was to balance forces horizontally and vertically, and take moments about O, and it worked out perfectly.

I was complicating things hugely by splitting the rods, as i then probably would have needed 3 sets of moments (torque) to work it out.

Mutant_Fruit said:
I got it figured. My problem was that i was splitting the rods. I shouldn't have done that.

I decided just to take the basics of what the solution was telling me, which was to balance forces horizontally and vertically, and take moments about O, and it worked out perfectly.

I was complicating things hugely by splitting the rods, as i then probably would have needed 3 sets of moments (torque) to work it out.

What do you mean by torque? I haven't encountered the expression before. Is that just another word for moments, or the forces you take into account when taking moments?

KnowledgeIsPower said:
What do you mean by torque? I haven't encountered the expression before. Is that just another word for moments, or the forces you take into account when taking moments?

Torque is "the forces you take into account when taking moments" roughly speaking. More accurately, given a force applyed at point a, to find torque "about point b", draw the line segment from a to b, then multiply the component of the force perpendicular to the segment by the length of the segment. Notice that the same force will give different torques about different points.

1. What is applied math and how does it relate to statics?

Applied math is the use of mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems. Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. Applied math is used in statics to analyze and solve problems related to the forces acting on objects.

2. What are some common applications of statics?

Some common applications of statics include determining the stability of structures such as buildings and bridges, analyzing the forces acting on vehicles such as cars and airplanes, and studying the behavior of fluids and gases.

3. What are the key principles of statics?

The key principles of statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to be in a state of rest or constant motion. Other key principles include the vector representation of forces, the use of free body diagrams, and the application of Newton's laws of motion.

4. How does statics differ from dynamics?

While statics deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion, dynamics deals with objects that are accelerating. In statics, the forces acting on an object are in balance, whereas in dynamics, the forces may not be in balance and can cause changes in the object's motion.

5. What types of problems can be solved using statics?

Statics can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including determining the forces acting on structures and objects, analyzing the stability of systems, and predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture to design and optimize structures and systems.