A question on window breezes and bernoulli effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the conundrum of air flow in a room when opening a window and leaving the door shut. The speaker's intuition suggests that opening the window decreases the air pressure in the room, but they cannot explain why opening the door would also affect the pressure. The conversation then delves into the concept of the "stack effect" where warm air in a house can escape through leaks at the top, causing cooler outside air to enter. This explains the air flow in the room and the speaker's confusion.
cuttlefish
Hello there!
It's been about a grillion degrees up here in my home town recently and last night this led me to a sort of conundrum. If I open the window in my room but leave my door shut, hardly any air comes it at all. If I open my door, there's a strong puff of wind that comes into the room and then a good steady flow continues. Just because of the components of this situation I always assumed that it had something to do with air pressure. Somehow opening the window decreased the air pressure in the room, sucking in cool air from the outside. But I realized that I can't really explain why the pressure would be less once you opened the door. Is my intuition just completely leading me astray? I've been thinking about this all night, somebody put me out of my misery!
cuttlefish

Physics news on Phys.org
Your house is a big box of stratified hot air warmer than the out side air because of heat from lights, appliances etc. If your house is air tight an open widow will not let outside air into the house because there is no way for the air in the house to excape. However if you put a hole in the top of your house (gaps around windows, exhaust fans, plumbing penatrations etc.) the warm air in the house will excape and be replaced by relatively cooler outside air. The leaks around the top of the house creates what is called a "stack effect" similar to that of a chimney. The effect can be increased by increasing the temperature difference between inside and outside air, increasing the height of the house or wind driven affects. The fact that you have air entering a house tells you that air must be leaving somewhere else. The air movement will be caused by pressure differences created by the stack effect.

Hello there, cuttlefish! Your intuition is actually correct - the difference in air pressure is indeed responsible for the difference in air flow when you open the window and the door. This phenomenon is known as the Bernoulli effect, named after the Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli who first described it in the 18th century.

In simple terms, the Bernoulli effect states that when the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. When you open the window, the air outside is moving faster than the air inside your room, creating a lower pressure outside. This lower pressure then causes air from outside to flow into your room through the window.

When you open the door, the air inside your room can now flow freely into the rest of your house, creating a larger volume of air moving at a higher speed. This results in a lower pressure inside your room, causing air to flow in from the window even more strongly.

So, your observation of a stronger breeze when the door is open is due to the combination of the Bernoulli effect and the increase in air flow through the larger opening. I hope this helps to put your mind at ease! Stay cool during those hot summer days.

1. How does the Bernoulli effect relate to window breezes?

The Bernoulli effect states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. When a window is open, air flows from high pressure areas to low pressure areas, creating a breeze. This is due to the increased velocity of the air passing through the window opening, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

2. Are window breezes caused by the wind outside?

No, window breezes are not caused by external winds. They are created by the pressure difference between the inside and outside of a room, as well as the Bernoulli effect.

3. Can the Bernoulli effect be observed in other situations besides window breezes?

Yes, the Bernoulli effect can be observed in various situations, such as airplane wings, wind turbines, and even when blowing on a piece of paper. It is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics.

4. Do window screens affect the Bernoulli effect and window breezes?

Yes, window screens can affect the Bernoulli effect and window breezes. The screens can create turbulence and disrupt the smooth flow of air, reducing the pressure difference and resulting in a weaker breeze.

5. Can the Bernoulli effect explain why some rooms feel more drafty than others?

Yes, the Bernoulli effect can explain why some rooms feel more drafty than others. Rooms with multiple windows or openings will have a greater difference in pressure and therefore a stronger breeze, while rooms with fewer or smaller openings will have a weaker breeze.