What bore diameter will fit a 5.4mm motor shaft?

In summary, the individual is seeking help to find a gear for their newly purchased 12V DC motor with a shaft diameter of 5.4mm. They mention that the description on the eBay page says 5.5mm, but the technical drawing attached says 5.4mm. They are looking for a gear with a bore diameter that can fit their motor, but all gears they have found so far have measurements in imperial units. They ask for suggestions on what bore diameter to look for and apologize if their question seems silly. Other users suggest getting a gear with a smaller bore diameter and reaming it out, and provide a drill size index for metric, English, and number sizes. One user also mentions that their SDP
designchick
Hi gurus,

I was hoping you guys can help me with a little something:

I have just purchased a 12V DC motor with a shaft diameter of 5.4mm
(Oddly enough, the description on the ebay page says 5.5mm, but the technical drawing
attached, says that its 5.4mm).

In any case - i am looking for a gear that i can attach onto this motor. However, all the gears out there have their measurements in imperial.

My question is: What bore diameter should i be looking for to attach to my motor, that has a 5.4 - 5.5mm shaft? 3/8" seems slightly too big, and 5/16" seems a little too large.

Any suggestions?
(Sorry if this seems like a silly question)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
5.4 mm is less than 1/4", so both of those are too big. If you can, you might get a gear with a smaller bore diameter and ream it out a bit.

I am attaching a drill size index for metric, English, and number sizes.
http://bobmay.astronomy.net/misc/drillchart.htm
Apparently the 5.4 mm diameter is nearly exactly a #3 drill, and there is no equivalent to 5.5 mm diameter, but is used for a M6 x 0.5 Fine thread.

Just checking:

Are you suggesting that i get a gear with a bore diameter SMALLER than my 5.4mm,
and then use a number 3 drill to ream out the extra bit in the inside?

Thanks turbo and bob.

My SDP catalog (http://www.sdp-si.com/) lists gears with 5.5mm bore. My guess is your shaft is actually 5.5mm -- but measuring is always better than guessing!

1. What is the standard bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft?

The standard bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft is 5.4mm. This is the diameter of the hole in the center of the shaft where other components can be attached.

2. Can I use a bore diameter larger than 5.4mm for a 5.4mm motor shaft?

Technically, yes, you can use a larger bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft. However, it is not recommended as it may cause the shaft to become loose and affect the performance of the motor.

3. What is the maximum bore diameter that can fit a 5.4mm motor shaft?

The maximum bore diameter that can fit a 5.4mm motor shaft is 5.4mm. Using a larger bore diameter may cause the shaft to become too loose and affect the motor's performance.

4. Is it possible to use a smaller bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft?

No, it is not recommended to use a smaller bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft. Doing so may cause the shaft to become too tight and damage the motor.

5. Are there any exceptions to using a 5.4mm bore diameter for a 5.4mm motor shaft?

In some cases, a manufacturer may have specific instructions for using a different bore diameter for their motor shaft. It is important to follow these instructions to ensure proper fit and performance.