Bearing steel that can absorb shocks

In summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the search for bearing steel that can absorb shocks in a steel rolling mill application. The individual asks for help with the composition and physical properties of such steel, as well as possible accessories that can be added to reduce shock at a lower cost. They also mention the issue of man error causing bearings to clash and break. Suggestions are made to consult with bearing manufacturers for further assistance.
devsdear
does anybody know of bearing steel that can absorb shocks , and could you help me with its composition and its physical properties like tensile strength, specific gravity, malleability , etc

regds

Engineering news on Phys.org
you talkin about the steel used in bearings?

Usually the best thing for dampening is cast iron. Please provide more information.

10 four on that Fred

yes i am talking abt steel used in bearings .

application is steel rolling mill , due to man error , bearings clash , bearings break ,,,,...jerk free bearings are dirt expensive ... so i wanted to ask all smarties ,in physics forum , to help me in (my thoughts processes)----some answer...

Where are the bearings failing? The inner race? Outer race? Cage?

Unfortunately, good quality bearings are usually expensive. They are just like any other cost though. You balance the cost of the bearings vs. down time and lost machine time for maintenance.

the inner ring is stationery, outer ring is in movement . or else are you aware of any other accessories that can be added to bearings to reduce shock (cheaper fashion)
regds

devsdear said:
the inner ring is stationery, outer ring is in movement . or else are you aware of any other accessories that can be added to bearings to reduce shock (cheaper fashion)
regds
Yes. That is how most bearings work however, that wasn't my question. I asked what exactly is failing with the bearings? What are you classifying as a failure? Bearings, by nature, are not meant as vibration dampeners. What is the "man error" you mentioned? Please be as specific as you can.

devsdear said:
yes i am talking abt steel used in bearings .

application is steel rolling mill , due to man error , bearings clash , bearings break ,,,,...jerk free bearings are dirt expensive ... so i wanted to ask all smarties ,in physics forum , to help me in (my thoughts processes)----some answer...

I like to go straight to the source. The manufacturers are generally very helpful in these situations.

http://www.skf.com/".

http://www.nsk.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is bearing steel that can absorb shocks?

Bearing steel that can absorb shocks is a type of steel that is specifically designed to withstand high impact and shock loads while maintaining its structural integrity. It is commonly used in applications where there is a lot of movement or vibration, such as in machinery, vehicles, and industrial equipment.

2. How does bearing steel absorb shocks?

Bearing steel is made up of various alloying elements, such as chromium, manganese, and silicon, which give it its unique properties. These elements help to increase the steel's hardness, strength, and ability to resist deformation under high impact. Additionally, the microstructure of bearing steel is carefully controlled to provide a balance between toughness and hardness, making it able to absorb shocks without breaking or deforming.

3. What are the benefits of using bearing steel that can absorb shocks?

The main benefit of using bearing steel that can absorb shocks is its ability to withstand high impact and shock loads without failing. This makes it highly desirable for applications where there is a lot of movement or vibration, as it can prevent damage to the equipment and ensure its longevity. Additionally, bearing steel is also known for its high wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and fatigue strength, making it a reliable and durable choice for various industrial and mechanical applications.

4. What are the common uses for bearing steel that can absorb shocks?

Bearing steel that can absorb shocks is commonly used in the manufacturing of bearings, gears, and other components for machinery and vehicles. It is also used in the construction of bridges, cranes, and other heavy equipment that are subject to high impact and shock loads. Additionally, it can be found in various industrial and mechanical applications, such as mining, construction, and aerospace.

5. How is bearing steel that can absorb shocks different from other types of steel?

Bearing steel that can absorb shocks is specifically designed to have a higher hardness and resistance to deformation compared to other types of steel. This is achieved through a careful selection of alloying elements and precise control of the steel's microstructure. Additionally, bearing steel also has a higher carbon content, which contributes to its strength and toughness. Overall, bearing steel is a specialized type of steel that is uniquely suited for applications where high impact and shock resistance are crucial.