Mechanics Book on 3-D Rigid Body Motion

In summary, the speaker is preparing for their physics courses in university and is having trouble with the problems in chapter 7 of Kleppner and Kolenkow's mechanics book. They are looking for a book that covers the topic of rigid body motion in three dimensions in a different way. Some recommended books are Goldstein's or Taylor's Classical Mechanics, Newtonian Mechanics by French, and Analytical Mechanics by Fowles. The speaker is advised to not worry too much about this topic and can come back to it later if needed.
Sam_Goldberg
Hi guys, I'm going to university this fall and am preparing this summer for the physics courses I will be taking. I have Kleppner and Kolenkow's mechanics book, and things were going smoothly until I hit the problems in chapter 7 on rigid body motion in three dimensions. In this chapter, topics such as gyroscopes, gyrocompasses, angular velocity and momentum, and the tensor of inertia were discussed. I'm really having a difficult time and I was wondering if anyone knew of a book of comparable difficulty that covered this topic in the same detail, but in a different way. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For physicists the standard mechanics text (which, by the way is a 2nd or 3rd year course so I wouldn't worry if you're swamped before you even start) is Goldstein's or Taylor's. Just go on amazon or the like and put in either of those last names and something like "Classical Mechanics" (I can't actually be bothered to remember their names. In physics we always refer to textbook by the last name of the authors because there are like 10 books called "Mathematical Method in the Physical Sciences" or some such)

Don't be afraid to just skip it for now and come back to it later.

For a probably simpler treatment (I don't have K&K) which may help, see Newtonian Mechanics by French. I also like Anatlytical Mechanics by Fowles.

1. What is the main focus of a Mechanics Book on 3-D Rigid Body Motion?

The main focus of a Mechanics Book on 3-D Rigid Body Motion is to study the motion and forces acting on a rigid body in three-dimensional space. This includes understanding the concepts of translation, rotation, and combined motion of a rigid body, as well as the principles and equations used to analyze and solve problems related to 3-D rigid body motion.

2. What are the key differences between 3-D rigid body motion and 2-D rigid body motion?

The key differences between 3-D rigid body motion and 2-D rigid body motion are the number of dimensions involved and the complexity of the motion. In 2-D, the rigid body is constrained to move in a plane, while in 3-D, it can move in any direction in three-dimensional space. This adds an extra level of complexity in analyzing and solving problems related to 3-D rigid body motion.

3. What are some real-life applications of 3-D rigid body motion?

3-D rigid body motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, robots, and machinery in engineering and manufacturing. It is also used in biomechanics to study the movement of human and animal bodies, and in physics to understand the motion of celestial bodies in space.

4. How is the study of 3-D rigid body motion related to other branches of mechanics?

The study of 3-D rigid body motion is closely related to other branches of mechanics, such as kinematics, dynamics, and statics. Kinematics deals with the description and analysis of motion, while dynamics focuses on the forces that cause motion. Statics, on the other hand, studies the equilibrium of a body at rest. 3-D rigid body motion combines these concepts and applies them to a rigid body moving in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some important principles and equations used in the analysis of 3-D rigid body motion?

Some important principles and equations used in the analysis of 3-D rigid body motion include the principle of superposition, which states that the total effect of all forces acting on a rigid body is equal to the sum of their individual effects. Other important equations include the equations of motion, which describe the translation and rotation of a rigid body, and the moment of inertia, which relates to the body's resistance to rotational motion.