Why won't my computer recognize both of my new external hard drives?

• Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive Hard
In summary, the individual is experiencing difficulty in recognizing two external hard drives when both are plugged in simultaneously. The computer only recognizes the first one plugged in and not the second one. This issue has not been found on Google and the individual is seeking advice from others. One suggestion is to check for a driver and another is to format the hard drives. The type of USB port and IRQ settings may also play a role in the issue.
blimkie.k
I recently bought 2 - 1 tb external hard drives from tiger direct.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822111019

My computer and other computers I have tried them on will not recognize them both plugged in together. it only recognizes the one i plug in first then when i plug the other one in nothing happens. When i unplug them both then plug in the other one it recognizes that one but not the second one. This is really frustrating. I couldn't find any related issues on google so i figured id see if anyone here has any ideas why I'm having this issue.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe you need a driver? Just a thought, that's what I would be looking into...

Hmm, that's quite a strange issue for a USB drive.

This drive does not appear to have a special driver -- and I wouldn't expect it to, since USB support is a basic feature supported by the OS.

What OS are you using?

also need to format the hard drives if they haven't been already

Are you plugging these drives into on-board USB ports, or into a USB hub?

Due to different companies having their own proprietary way of supplying USB support, their capability is sometimes limited by how they are wired.

Have you looked at your IRQ settings with the drives attached?

1. Why is my external hard drive not showing up on my computer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty USB cable, outdated drivers, or a malfunctioning hard drive. Try using a different USB cable and updating your drivers to see if that resolves the problem. If not, your hard drive may need to be replaced.

2. Can I recover data from a malfunctioning external hard drive?

In some cases, it is possible to recover data from a malfunctioning external hard drive. However, this depends on the extent of the damage and the type of data recovery software used. It is recommended to consult a professional data recovery service for the best chances of retrieving your data.

3. How can I fix a corrupted external hard drive?

If your external hard drive is corrupted, you can try running a disk repair tool or using the built-in disk repair function on your computer. If that does not work, you may need to reformat the drive, which will erase all data on it. It is important to regularly back up your data to avoid this issue.

4. What is the best way to store an external hard drive?

The best way to store an external hard drive is in a cool, dry place with minimal exposure to dust and direct sunlight. It is also important to handle the hard drive with care, avoiding dropping or shaking it, as this can cause damage to the internal components.

5. How do I safely eject my external hard drive?

To safely eject your external hard drive, make sure all files and programs using the drive are closed. On a Windows computer, you can right-click on the drive and select "Eject". On a Mac, you can click on the drive and drag it to the trash bin. Once the drive is ejected, you can safely unplug it from your computer.